Chapter 18: Birthday Surprises

POV: Rowan Collins

~~~

You know that feeling, the one when it feels like someone is staring at you? Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right about now.

Flipping myself onto my left side and opening my eyes a little to see who is starring. Standing in my doorway is none other than Mira, growling to myself I bury my head into my pillow and wrap the blankets tighter around me.

I lay for about five more minutes before she left, never talking or calling me out on being awake. She just stood there looking at me. I know she feels sorry about the fight we had at dinner the other night, but she pushed me too far and she knows that it's a bad topic for me and she continues to push.

After another hour when the clock reads ten o'clock I roll off the side of my bed and trudge into the bathroom. Starting the shower I look at myself in the mirror, the longer I stare the more I see similarities to my mother.

I never thought I looked like her, except for my eyes. I had my dad's feathers, the dark hair, the tan skin, basically all our Italian genes. Charlette always looked more like her with long blond hair and the hazel eyes we both share.

It's been almost ten years since her death and I miss her every day. My mother and I were close; she was always more down to earth and less work-obsessed then my father. She would take Charlette and me to the park in the middle of the town and let us run around like normal kids, that's where I met Justin the first time I can remember for myself.

Unlike the other children, I knew what my father did at a young age. I was a curious kid and I would listen to conversations through the doors or hide in my dad's office. I still remember how traumatized his face looked when I went up to him and my mom and flat out asked why he was sending guns to something called a mafia. The laugh my mother let out is engraved in my ears.

Her laugh was always my favorite thing about her.

By the time I snap out of my memoirs the mirror was all fogged up. Striping I stepped into the shower to wash my hair and shave.

An hour later I wrapped the towel around me and walked back into my room with brushed teeth and clean hair. Taking time to dry off I sat on the edge of my bed and scrolled through Instagram.

After a while, I decided to get dressed so I could get this lunch out of the way and spend the rest of my day in my room. Last night Justin had called me twenty times before I answered and then continued to call another thirty until I agreed to meet him for lunch, I was so tired that I gave up and just agreed. And I was pretty sure if I hung up on him one more time he might have shown up at the house and I didn't want to deal with that.

After I dried and straightened my hair I toweled off the rest of my body before walking over to the closest to grab my outfit. I may not want to go out but ill be damned if I don't look good.