The Basketball Star and the Cheer Captain?!

Chapter 4 - recap

"Lucy! What the hell!" Natsu leaned down.

"The guys! Natsu we have to-!" I can't finish the sentence because he whirls around as the guys come bounding at us. He takes a fighting stance as the first guy came flying. Natsu raises a fist and the drunk runs right into it. The other guy tries to slow down and comes to a stop right in front of Natsu.

"You wanna fight me?" Natsu growled.

"N-n-no! No way in hell man! You took Ripper out without flinching! Screw that, man!" He raced away, into the shadows.

• * •

Chapter 5 - The Basketball Star and the Cheer Captain?!

Natsu turned around to face me where I was sitting on the ground, my legs pulled up to my chest and my arms behind me propping my body up. He silently came over to me and picked me up, carrying me in his arms. I leaned my head against his shoulder, my eyes wide from the sudden gesture.

I winced as my scrapes began to sting, my adrenaline rush coming to an end. My hair was a mess from rolling on the grass, and I had cuts everywhere - especially my face where I hit the concrete. Natsu was silent the entire walk back, and it was unusual; it scared me. I didn't speak either, not finding the courage to. We got the the apartment complex and eventually the apartment. Natsu set me down and I stood on shaky knees. He opened the door and all the lights where off signaling that Wendy was asleep. He closed and locked the door after we stepped in.

"Why the hell where you out there by yourself?" Natsu asked out of the blue, making me jump in surprise.

"..." I gave no response as I stood in the living room my arms folded over my chest, pressing my knees together so they would stop shaking so violently.

"Lucy, why where you out there?" He demanded.

"I just went on a walk," I mumbled.

"You didn't even have a jacket on and I know you get cold easily in the night air. So what where you really doing out there? Where you meeting someone?" He questioned.

"No! I just needed to, cool off!" I was desperately searching for the right words.

"Then why where those guys after you?" He folds his arms.

Tears spill over my eyes. "I don't know Natsu they just found me and started telling me to come with them so I ran!"

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He shook his head and looked away from me. I gripped myself tighter with my own arms. He looked back over at me and just stared at me. That's when he came over to me and wrapped me in a hug.

"N-Natsu?" I ask.

"Lucy you looked so terrified," he finally said.

I didn't respond because I knew he was right. I felt terrified. We stood there hugging for the longest time before we eventually went to bed, no longer able to stay awake.

• * •

The next day at school people kept asking about my numerous bandages. I made up a story saying I fell down the stairs at my apartment complex, hoping they would buy it and not ask for further details.

Levy looked like she didn't believe me, but just sighed and said, "I hope you get better soon Lu."

In Ms. V's class we discussed economics and began discussing what businesses to open with our partners. I tried my best to seem engaged for Natsu's sake. Lord knows how much we wouldn't accomplish if I didn't keep him on track. So I was on autopilot through the entire class period. As soon as the bell rung Natsu leapt from his seat and nearly ran out the door. I stared after him before reaching down and grabbing my bag.