Can I Trust Her?

Chapter 28 - recap

Our eyes fell upon Lisanna. My eyes immediately fell into a scowl. Natsu grabbed my hand.

"What Lisanna?" He asked steadily.

"I...I want to apologize...for how I've acted. I was childish, and horrible to you. Both of you. I'm sorry," she looked down. I felt pity rise in my throat.

"Just don't ever try it again," I say before pulling Natsu away.

• * •

Chapter 29 - Can I Trust Her?

Sounds of loud and rough coughing woke me up. I groggily looked over to see the time: two forty two, glaring at me with its red color. I push myself up with an arm and my covers slide off my arm. The coughing seems to subside but a see a light slipping under my door. I get up and head over to it.

When I open it I see the light is escaping from Natsu's room--so was the coughing noise. I push his door open gently to see him sitting up on the edge of the bed, his head bent as he coughed more. I pushed open the door slowly.

"Natsu..? What's wrong?" I ask quietly. He had tossed his shirt aside and had pushed away his blankets. He coughed a bit more and his head hung a bit lower as he rested his arms on his legs limply. I walked over to him and placed my hand on his cheek. I held the back of my hand against his forehead, moving his messy hair to get to it.

"Luce..." His voice came out scratchy and faint.

"Shh," I hushed him as I felt his hot forehead. I sighed and brushed his hair back from his head as I lifted it.

I let it drop down again as I say, "Stay home today, you're definitely sick..."

He shook his head, "I'll...be fine..." coughs racked his body. I went into his bathroom and wet a cold wash cloth. I folded it and wrung it out. Then I carried it out to him and placed it on his hot forehead. Then I gently pushed him back down on the mattress.

"Just stay home okay?" I urge quietly. He nods without a word. I kiss his nose lightly before quietly walking back to my room and falling asleep before waking up again later to get ready for school. I checked on him before I left, peeking into his room cautiously. I saw him sprawled among his sheets, his bare arm flipped over the side of the bed. I sigh and continue outside where I start my lonely walk.

When I reached school I saw Lisanna and Levy and a few other people I knew roaming about. I went straight to the choir room and say down on one of the stands and began working on my music. Levy poked my shoulder.

"Where's Natsu?" She asked gently.

"He's sick today," I murmur absent-minded.

"You alright?" She sits down and leans on me slightly. I nod slowly.

The bell rings and other kids start coming in so I put my things away and get ready for class.

• * •

I walked through the halls to the lunch room, already exhausted and ready to fall asleep. Levy was talking to me but I was zoned out. We sat down at a table and pulled out our lunches.

"What's wrong Lu?" Levy looked at me worried.

"I'm not sure if I can really trust Lisanna. After all she did..."

"Maybe she's really trying to change," Levy shrugged.

I sighed and leaned on my hand as I played with my food. "Yeah, maybe."

Levy patted my head softly before taking another bite of her sandwich. I worried about Natsu, but I knew he would be okay back home. I watched as Lisanna was laughing and talking with a few other cheerleaders.

Can I trust her...? I groan and lay my head on the table. "I don't know what to do Levy..."

She runs her hand through my hair. "Trust your gut. You'll be fine, don't worry," she assures me.

"Thanks Levy," I smile and sit up slowly.

"Any time Lu," she grins and keeps eating as she picks up a book again. After we finish and lunch ends we head through our last classes. I fight for consciousness and I feel ready to collapse by the last class. As we are packing up and waiting for the bell I almost fall over. I jolt awake and realize no one saw and I breathe a sigh of relief. When the bell finally rings I walk slowly.

I get outside and set out on my walk. The wind had picked up and was biting at my exposed skin. I shuffled along the side walk, tired and ready to drop. I looked up and saw the mansion drawing closer. I just had a little farther to go. I got to the drive and kept walking. I opened the door and set my bag down--er, dropped it. The noise rung throughout the empty foyer.

"Lucy! You're back!" Natsu leaps down the steps and heads over to me.

"You look better," I murmur and blink.

"But you look tired. Are you alright Luce?" He hurried over to me as I nod.

"Lucy, you're swaying," he says in monotone.

"Huh? I am?" I ask tiredly.

"Come on pretty girl, I'm taking you to bed," he sighs and picks me up before carrying me to my room. He set me on my bed and pulled off my coat. I fell asleep, but I wasn't totally out. I felt him as he laid beside me and pulled me close to him. He moved over me to kiss my ear before I rolled over and curled up against his chest, yawning.

"Don't work yourself so hard anymore," he says to me softly. I only sigh quietly in response. He wraps his other arm beneath me and holds me tightly.

"Thank you...Natsu..." I murmur. "I love...you..." I fall asleep completely. And I dream of him.

• * •

Chapter 30 - The Darker Side of His Life - preview

"You can't leave it all to me all at once!" Natsu yelled.

"You are my son, the successor to this company! I am sick Natsu. I won't be around much longer," Igneel said cooly.

"You can't leave Wendy and mom and I! We've hardly acted as a family!" Natsu protests.

"I did what I had to as a father. One day you will understand. When you have your own children," Igneel tells him.

"I don't think I will," Natsu shakes his head, "I couldn't do that to Lucy or our kids."

I cover my mouth to hide my gasp. Even now he was thinking of me.

• * •

Hi my lovely readers! Another note from me! It's a thank you really...

A thank you for 7k reads!

I never dreamed of reaching 7k so soon! And getting such amazing readers! You guys are so supportive and you make me smile all the time when I see your comments, and I feel so amazing knowing you guys like what I'm writing.

So...thank you.

- Kels-chan