A Winter Dream, A Kiss of Snow

Chapter 18 - recap

"Lucy! Will you ever return home?" A reporter asked.

"Never," I say bluntly, before pulling Natsu away. I had tears racing down my cheeks as we got in the car. Somehow it could still get to me even after years resenting him. Natsu pulled me against him as Victor drove us home. I was certain the press and fans would only be a new enemy for us to deal with.

• * •

Chapter 19 - A Winter Dream, A Kiss of Snow

I stared at him as he stretched his arms, watching his muscles flex. I knew I shouldn't, but who could ignore someone that fit? He looked over at me and caught me staring at him as he practiced in the gym of the mansion. Physical therapy was a new must, and I had the pleasure of supervising.

He smirked and shook his head, going back to making free throw shots. I blushed and and quickly averted my eyes, only to have them slide right back. I mentally chided myself for staring. When he caught me looking for the fourth time he stopped throwing. He started walking over to me and my arms unfolded from my chest. He set the basketball in his hand on the rack as he passed it.

I pushed myself off the wall, biting my lip out of habit. "Am I that irresistible?" Natsu's dark eyes met my own and I looked away, blushing harder than ever.

"Well, uh..." I stammer, "I was just watching what's so wrong with that?"

He shakes his head laughing. "Lucy, when I looked at you would blush. You weren't just watching," he draws nearer.

"Well, I guess I should go and let you practice!" I say quickly turning away. My wrist is then caught in a tight grasp and I'm yanked around. I'm pushed against a wall, my caught wrist held above my head, with Natsu's head bent over my shoulder, his other hand holding my waist.

Red tint erupted across my cheeks. I feel his breath on my skin and I fight the urge to shiver. "It's been awhile since I could tease you like this," he whispers.

"It's only been a few days," I think out loud. I hear him stifle a laugh.

"A few days too long Luce, a few days too long," he looks at me. "I haven't been able to make you blush this hard in a few weeks." he laughs before finally kissing me. It was gentle and sweet, and it drove me crazy how much I craved things like this. He slowly released my hand and I moved it to his head. We kissed for what seemed like forever until I heard clocks ringing from around the mansion.

"Come on Lady Heartfilia, let's go have dinner," Natsu said after pulling away. I nod and wait as he pulls on his black t-shirt. Then we head to the dining hall where Victor waited with our food. We didn't talk much as we ate, finishing quickly.

After that Natsu went to see the nurse and shower. I decided to go on a walk. It was dark out, and the stars looked enticing. I slid my slender arms into my coat and grabbed a white beanie. I slid it on as I headed for the doors that lead out to the back of the mansion.

I stood out under the stars, finding constellations and watching my breath form and disappear. The gardens looked barren, but I still decided to roam about it, finding it peaceful under the moonlight. It was silent, a real silence. There was not a sound--I couldn't even hear my heart beating in my chest.

I savored the peace, knowing it would end when we returned to school. Knowing that the drama and problems would only get a kick start. But then Christmas would be upon us, leaving another break to catch our breaths if the world decided to give it to us.

Suddenly a pair of arms encircled me and spun me around as I squealed in surprise and delight. When they set me down I was spun around to face him, Natsu. He had a devilish grin on his face. He was up to something, and I could see it in his eyes.

"Na-Natsu?" I ask hesitantly.

"Yes Lucy?" He replies still grinning.

"Are you...okay?" I ask gently.

"Yes. But, the nurse said I needed more intense exercise. So, I'm going to try and catch you. You have to hide from me. If I catch you," he pauses and his grin widens, "you have to say you will marry me after graduation." he finishes.

"What?!" I shriek. He laughs.

"What if I don't play?" I fold my arms. His look darkens.

"Then you forfeit, and I automatically win," he tells me.

"And if I win?" I ask cautiously.

"Then you can decline," he shrugs before letting go of me.

"It's like our old childhood games! You have five minutes to hide! Be careful, I have every inch of this place engraved in my memory!" He calls as I race deeper into the garden. As I run my thoughts whirl.

Had I just been proposed to?

And was I really playing hide and go seek to decide my answer?!

• * •

Chapter 20 - Hide and Seek: Best Played at Night

I was still running when he yelled "Ready or not, here I come!"

I frantically racked my brain for good hiding places. The bushes, fountains, walls, vines and old statues where my only options near me. I dove in between two old walls, praying my breath couldn't be seen.