8 | The Palace

KATHRYN'S POV

"Are you nervous?" Asked the grand duchess when I can't seem to stay put. I turned to her and gave her a little nod.

"Don't be. Your first impression was perfect! You really give them hell when you introduce yourself as a commoner. I really love the looks they gave me." The grand duchess laughed while on her phone.

For her it's fine but for me, I feel I just dug my own grave. She told me to be who I am. Who in the right mind would even consider me as a real competitor when I told them I used to work at Le Stella as a maid and live at the poorest part of the city?!

"As I said, just be true to yourself and that should give us an edge. I can't wait to see Alvia's reaction when he saw you tonight at dinner." Wait! We'll be meeting the emperor tonight?!

"Whoa! What? I'm not ready to meet him. Not after what happened. Those ladies will kill me in front of him!" The grand duchess looks up from her phone and faces me.

"So? As I said, don't worry about that. They will say whatever but they won't do anything since you're under my family's protection. Even if they do try, I'll make sure to make them suffer for what they've done." She assured me yet again.

"There is no harm in making friends with princess Madeline and my brother's choice of lady. They're good people coming from a good family. It doesn't surprise me if they make the cut for the former empress's test." That's what I'm afraid of.

They do seem friendly but even the kindness person has their own demon to battle.

"But of course don't be careless. Even if they treat you fine, you shouldn't put a huge target on your back. I've seen court ladies acting like lunatics before. Just because they have the power and money, that doesn't mean they can do anything." The grand duchess patted an empty space beside her on the couch.

Reluctantly I went to sit next to her and looking down on the floor.

"The emperor has his own taste when it comes to finding the next empress of this empire. But first, they need to pass a test that the former empress had prepare for them. Every year is different and I have no idea what kind of test she's going to do this year. They say it's a test but for me it's a competition." She explained. Something made me curious.

"What was the 'competition' last year?" The duchess thinks for a moment.

"Hosting hi-tea for her and her friends. Keep in mind, her friends are all important figures. From famous singers, actresses, even the minister's wives and politician. They play a huge part in the competition as well. You're not just entertaining the former empress. You have to make sure her friends having fun as well." Hosting hi-tea?! What the hell is that even?

"From your confusing expression, I guess you never cater hi-tea at Le Stella yet?" I shake my head no. I did just graduated. It's not even in the academy's subject since I will never attend that kind of event.

"We have a lot to learn then. Since you already know the basic from the academy, it's fine. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes! The competition. If you passed the competition, you have to go through several others but this time the emperor himself will host them." The duchess smiled.

"But, I think you can handle it. I just know you can. Having such a tough upbringing, nothing will faze you anymore, correct?" She is right. I was born without a silver spoon shoved into my throat like the others.

Life's hardship is what I have to face every single day.

"I do have a few concerns about the way you bring yourself in front of these esteemed ladies." I face the duchess who looks at me from top to bottom. What's wrong with my look? She's the one who asked the maid to dress me like this.