31 | Make way! Duchess Kathryn is here

THIRD PERSON POV

Kathryn sighed heavily when she finally was given some time off from the former empress. She rests her head on the table while ignoring the fact that her attending maids are literally making a joke about it.

"Very funny," the maids chuckles.

"Buy it is funny, your grace. Just look at the mess you've done. You almost threw the food to her majesty! Luckily she was that agile to avoid being hit by you," Kathryn puffed her cheek before turning her head away.

"I'm sorry your grace. We didn't mean to make fun of you but it's just too funny," the maids' giggles while they clean the mess that Kathryn had done.

"Why do I have to learn how to use chopstick? I don't see the need of it," the maids clears their throat.

"It may seem like the things her majesty has been teaching you doesn't have any significant if becoming an empress but when you think about the future, you may have to entertain guests from a foreign country who only use chopsticks to eat. Since you are the future empress, you don't want to be rude by not joining your guest in using chopsticks as well, right?" Kathryn then realised the connection.

"And to learn equestrian skills is not silly like you said. The art of riding a horse means a lot for nobility. It is one of the ways to know how that person truly is," Kathryn seem confused.

"Why would an image of me riding a horse tell someone who I truly am? That's something you two made up, right?" Kathryn chuckles. The maids didn't laugh at all.

"Now you two decided not to laugh?" The maids look at each other before facing Kathryn.

"Your grace, aren't you listening in class when her majesty explained to you the importance of everything before she actually taught you?" Kathryn looks away from facing her attending maids. She can't let them know she's actually blank out the whole time.

"Duchess Kathryn." One of them called her out.

"Alright! I'm sorry! The lesson is boring and my mind couldn't help but blank out every time she starts talking about the lesson," the maids' gasps at the fact.

"But how is it that you manage to bring yourself and recall everything that her majesty had taught you in official gathering?" Kathryn explained how she's been using her instincts all this time.

"I just have to be a snob, right? So it works out perfectly," the maids bow when they saw the former empress walks into the room with her hands cross on her chest.

"So I've been teaching a brick wall all this time?" Kathryn freezes up when she heard Violette's voice behind her.

"I don't know if I should be angry or sad at this moment. And here I thought there is no one worst than Madeline when it comes to learning how to be a lady," Violette sigh heavily. Kathryn stood up from her seat and bows her head.

"I'll forgive you this time. For bowing at me and for wasting my time. Since the traditional way doesn't work out for you, why don't we try the other way to learn?" Kathryn raised an eyebrow.

"I want you to host a soirée on my behalf. We would invite that many people. Just a small group of friends. That way I can assess you by watching you closely. It wouldn't be that hard, right? You used to host this kind of soirée in Le Stella, correct?" Kathryn wanted to shake her head no but she doesn't want to disappoint her majesty even more.

There's no way she can say that she was never given the chance to host any soirée for the nobility. She nods her head.

"Good. I'm sure your attending maid will be helping you. I'll ask my advisor to provide you with the numbers and information that you may need. Au revoir," Violette smiles at her dishevelled daughter in law before excusing herself.