12 | Gralian's Forest

KATHRYN'S POV

"Ladies, may I have your attention please?" We all turned to the person who spoke to us. It's the former empress's chamberlain.

"In less than 24 hours, you all will be fighting for your life and others in the forest to become to next empress of this empire. My purpose of being here is to inform you of the rules and regulation of the event," the chamberlain explained.

We all look at each other before listening to the chamberlain tentatively.

"You will be given 24 hours to search and rescue the survivors that are scattered around the forest. It's a standard procedure according to Gralia's basic survival skill. For those who had military training, I'm sure you're familiar with this procedure. For those who haven't, please make use of the time you have left to study the procedure." Oh ... my god. He really wants us to kill ourself?!

"If you wish to withdraw from this, please do so by tonight or tomorrow before the event starts. But, the consequences of that is you will be disqualified from continuing your journey. It ends here." I'm pretty sure all of us swallow that invisible lumps in our throat as we heard the consequences if we decided to leave.

"You can either form a team or going solo. Either way, your performance will be judged by the emperor himself. Only he can decide the candidates that will proceed to the next round. His decision is absolute." Of course, it is.

"You may injure those who came to your path. Please do not try to do more than that because the Palace doesn't want you to get hurt. Even though this event is quite dangerous, the emperor will make sure of your safety in the forest. We assure you that nothing bad will happen." The chamberlain assured us all.

I, on the other hand, have my doubts.

"You will be given the weapon of your choice for this. Please consider the terrain you have to endure for the next 24 hours and choose wisely. Besides that, you'll also be given a backpack complete with basic necessity like food, drinks, first aid kit and etcetera, etcetera." That's good news.

"Last but not least, the emperor wishes for your success. And good luck." The chamberlain bows her head to us before excusing herself.

"This bulls. How can he expect us to be in the forest alone?! I suggest we should go in pair. As much as I hate you all, I don't want to die yet," says Natania. Wow! That's a great way to interpret how she feels about us.

"I hate to admit it but she's right," Luna said before turning to face me.

"I'll take my chances and pick you as my partner. What do you say, Lady Kathryn?" I gulp down the lumps in my throat. She's straightforward and that a good thing because I don't have to wonder what she thought of me.

Hold on, what does she mean by she took her chances?!

"And I guess I have no choice but to choose Natania then. Please don't slow me down." Ouch. Veronica meant that.

"Same to you," Natania said proudly. Veronica suddenly turns to me with a sad expression.

"Why do I have to stick with her? I rather pick you as my partner, Kathryn." I look at Natania who's standing behind her, rolling her eyes.

"Boohoo ... sucks to be you. Now, teach me how to use a weapon since you had your military training. God, I hate this! Alvia! What is wrong with you!" She screams in frustration while dragging Veronica away.

It's awkward between Luna and me since we're alone now. I don't know how to start a conversation with her. She seems like she likes to be alone and timid but when she did open her mouth, the thing she said is quite hurtful and the truth!