24 | Hope Is Coming

ALVIA'S POV

"How are you Alvia? It's been so long since we last met," Why am I here with her of all people? Why was she invited to the wedding? This woman. This woman whom I used to love is actually sitting in front of me like nothing ever happened between us.

"And I thought we would never meet each other again. How is your life with the man you love?" Tatiana chuckled.

"Oh, we're so happy. Why didn't you come to our wedding? I was looking forward to showing you that I married a real man," I scoffed. After she saw me in my vulnerable state, her true colours emerged. From the kind and passionate young lady to a vicious and selfish monster.

Luckily she didn't get to be the next empress. If not, her family would be the ones who bring Gralia to its doom. I was stupid enough to fall for her tricks. I'm blaming no one but myself.

"Good for you. I bet your family is happy as well," Tatiana sigh.

"Not really. They discard me as their daughter because I didn't get to be the empress. But I don't mind. I rather live with my husband even though he's a lord of a small duchy than being an empress to someone who has two genders that couldn't even reproduce," I turned and glared at this woman.

In all those years, she never changes at all.

"That mouth of yours will someday be the death of you. Just a reminder," Tatiana chuckled.

"Don't worry about me, Alvia. I can manage. Anyway, was that woman whom you dance with knows about you... real self? If not, it explained why she didn't feel disgusted by your real appearance without all that fancy suits," why am I here again? Why did I let this woman speak to me like this?

"Your majesty? I was told to be here by Grand Duchess Annabelle. I'm sorry for interrupted this conversation," I look up to see Kathryn standing by the door, bowing at us. Her face changes when she saw my expression when I look at her.

"Alvia, are you okay?" She called me by my name. I am pathetic. To let her come and see me like this. Even though I despise Tatiana to the bone, I can't get myself to hate her. We used to share a bond. And I used to love her so much.

"What have you done to him?" Kathryn directed that question to Tatiana. Wait, what is she doing?

"What? I'm not doing anything. He's like that when he's around me. I have full control of him if you want to know," Tatiana squint her eyes.

"I know you. You must be that commoner everyone is talking about. The one who may replace my place in the emperor's heart. You do look like a commoner. I don't know what's so special about you that made the royal family likes you," I should stop this.

But why can't I find my voice?

"So what they like me? Are you jealous? If so, why did you leave him in the first place?! Coward! Do you change your mind every time you see something is wrong with your partner?! To hell with that thinking! Get out!" Kathryn yells the last part.

"How dare you speak to me like that! Do you know who I am?!" Tatiana stood up from her seat and face Kathryn.

"To hell with that! I don't care even if you're related to the royal family! Get out of my palace!" Kathryn grabbed Tatiana by the wrist and yanked her towards the door.

I stood up and stop this nonsense.

"Kathryn, come here." Kathryn let go of Tatiana's wrist and went to my side.

"I think it's best for you to leave now or I'll call the guard to escort you out. Either way, you have to leave," Tatiana was in disbelief.

"You let a commoner inside the palace and not a noble-born like me?! This is absurd! You trust someone who was born in the gutter more than me?!" I glared at her.