44 | New Life Begins

KATHRYN'S POV

"Last night bachelorette party was not what I expected at all. Thank you for inviting me to such a fantastic party. It was such a wonderful experience to see Annabelle in such dishevelled state." Madeline chuckled.

"It was her fault for bringing the keg. And it wasn't our fault that she keeps losing the game. She is just the worst player ever." I find it funny when I rethink back to what exactly happened last night.

"Have you ever heard the story about the first empress of Gralia? Did Alvia or my mother mentioned about our ancestry?" I shake my head, no.

"Our ancestor found this barren land while he was on an adventure to explore the new world. We believe that our bloodline came from France. Hence our last name, Bouvier. It occurred in history books that only the royal family has access to that the first empress was sold as a token of gratitude." How unpleasant.

"Here she is," Madeline reveals a drawn picture of a woman that looks like she's in her 20. There is no question that this woman is gorgeous.

"Empress Anastasia Bouvier." I read her name out loud.

"To be honest, I am glad that my brother chooses to marry you instead of the other nobility. I grew up in court, and I saw things that happened only in the movies. I witness our very own servant tried to poison out father after the revolution happens. I was only eight years old at the time." Is Madeline crying?

"When Alvia took the throne, I was so worried that I might lose my brother. And I was right. He began to have no time for us anymore. Every time Kennedy and I asked to see him; we were forbidden to do so because our father doesn't like the idea of having a weak emperor. For him, showing love towards others is a sign of weakness. For years we hated our father until Alvia took full control of the throne and forbade our father from telling him what to do." Way to go, Alvia.

"But by doing so doesn't change the fact that he has no time for us. Upon knowing what my brother had done, the council took action and decided to leash the emperor within their grasp. They even arranged our marriage so it can be a benefactor for our empire. Lucky for Kennedy and I, our partner, understand us." I'm glad then.

"Is there any reason why you are telling me this?" I asked when she leads me through the hallway.

"Yes. I'm walking you through this magnificent hallway because your portrait will be hanging here, on the wall for everyone to see. The future generations will know all about your greatness and history as empress of Gralia." Madeline suddenly meets me in the eye with a smile.

"I know what you've accomplished while being a duchess. You opened several orphanages, charity homes and nursing homes for the people of Gralia. My advisor told me that you even opened a shelter for homeless and single mothers that have nowhere to go. You have made a name of yourself, and I'm happy that my brother will be spending his life with you." Madeline made me blushed in a deep shade of red.

"And we hope that you will take good care of him. We know Alvia too well that whenever something bad occurs, he sometimes can't think straight and make a rash decision. I hope that as his wife, you'll be his voice of reason." I was surprised to see Kennedy suddenly appeared behind one of the sculptures.

"Have you been hiding there and wait for the perfect moment to butt in on our conversation?" I just have to ask him while Madeline chuckles beside me. I took that as a yes when he gave me his sheepish smile.

"I didn't mean to. I was just walking down this hallway towards the library when I heard Madeline's voice coming from afar. I thought that I might scare you two, but instead, I changed my mind since you two were having such a serious conversation. I didn't want to ruin the moment." At least he has a clear mind of what to do next. Unlike my own siblings, they will find a way to scare the shit out of me.