10 | Let The Best Food Wins

KATHRYN'S POV

So they change the palace ballroom into a huge kitchen for all the candidates huh? Royals. They can do anything. They are willing to spend this much just to find the emperor's bride.

"Are you even listening to me?" Duchess Annabelle asked me when we walk towards my station.

"Yea. Don't worry. I got this. I've been cooking since I was 12. And the dishes I have to prepare today is one of my speciality," I gave her two assuring thumbs up.

"Are you sure? Because you're cooking for the former empress today. Not your family or your customer at the diner," how did she know I work in a diner before going to Le Stella?! Nobles ... they know everything!

"Oh please. Don't give me that look. Do you really think I wouldn't check your background thoroughly? Think again." The duchess looks around as we walk.

"This is rather a long walk towards your station huh." She said while looking at the number that was given to me. After feeling like forever, I finally found my spot. The duchess and I look at each other when we notice something that's not right.

"I thought the ingredients will be prepared for us. What is the meaning of this crap?" I smiled at the duchess when she's about to blow up at people around her.

"It's okay. I can manage." Besides I can make everything taste delicious despite the condition of the ingredient. It's best if we start from scratch.

"Are you sure? Because once they started, they don't have to bother about preparing the ingredient." I nod.

"Sure they will end it faster than I will but ... what's the point of that if the food taste like garbage," I whispered the last part into the duchess's ear. She laughed out loud while shaking her head.

I've seen how they struggling. I can already see the outcome of this even. As I was checking the ingredient, I notice yet another mishap. Almost all of my ingredient is rotten and expired. How low can they go?

I look up to the other candidate who hiding their laughter behind their hands. How can someone so beautiful be so ... evil?!

"I can't believe this. They're trying to ruin you. Let's ruin them back," I grabbed a hold of the duchess's wrist but quickly withdraw when I realised I'm touching the duchess.

"The meat is fine. That's the main ingredient. If the main ingredient is ruin, everything is bound to ruin but it's not. I can handle this." This is getting annoying.

"I have to go now. Please, if there's anything, just say it out loud. Everyone should have a fair game. And this ... is far from being fair." The duchess said before excusing herself.

Now ... what should I do first? Separating the bad ingredient, prepare everything from the main course to dessert and I should make the drink last I guess. The menu seems hard but it's actually just fine in my book.

At least it's not Italian food.

"Ladies, are you ready?" Asked the chamberlain before ringing the bell to initiate the start of this unfair event.

I wash the chicken and let it dry as I make the marinating sauce. Nothing goes wrong if the sauce is perfect. Let see here. Greek-style yoghurt, turmeric, chilli, pepper, coriander seed, cumin seed, cinnamon, cardamon, garam masala and cloves. Mix it all up in the bowl and it's done.

Spread the sauce on the chicken and squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on top and place it inside the oven. Now that the main course is done, I should proceed to the side dish.

Now this, I don't really get it. Do royals eat this kind of food even? Cheesy garlic asparagus is one my favourites and the easiest to make but if this is your first time doing it, the cheese will get burn and it will taste funny.