33 | Empress For A Day

THIRD PERSON POV

"What a lovely surprise. Your grace, if the emperor told me that you would be the one meeting dear old me, I would've brought something from my country," Kathryn flinches when the representative from one of Gralia's neighbouring kingdom reaches out to kiss her hand.

"I'm really sorry, my Lord. But the emperor does not tolerate those who try to show their gratitude by kissing his future wife even on her hands," Freida grabs his hand when he tried to reach out. The representative clicks his tongue in annoyance.

"My. The emperor is one jealous man, huh?" He tries to laughs it out.

"Oh yes, he is," Countess Genevieve acts as the negotiator while Freida explains everything to Kathryn who's having a hard time understanding every single detail of her sudden responsibility.

"Now, shall we talk about the reason why you decided to come to the empire despite having some conflict with your people, Duke Charles?" The duke was surprised when Countess Genevieve mentioned about the conflict.

"As the representative, I would like to discuss the matter that princess Evangeline had entrusted me with the emperor but it seems the odds are not in my favour," the duke seems resentful towards Kathryn.

"And what might that be? Like we mentioned before, duchess Kathryn will be replacing the emperor for today. She was given full ignoring by the emperor himself so don't let this gets in the way of your duty, my Lord," The duke sighs when the countess reminds him to be professional.

"The princess would like to know if the emperor has a solution for the uncontrollable consequences of accepting refugees from the Resistance territory. Like they had discussed from their last meeting together, the emperor assured her that the matter is being handled but as of last week, the people of my country have voiced out their concerns. They don't wish to share their privileges with those low life refugees," the duke's statement made Kathryn snapped.

"Low life refugees? They're humans, not animals for you to judge. They seek freedom and help from your princess and you shall give them what they deserve to have. Most refugees don't have any say when they were forced to be a part of the Resistance," Freida place a hand on Kathryn's shoulder.

"What my lady trying to say is we're trying our best to solve this matter. Please ..." Countess Genevieve was rudely interrupted when the duke sighs heavily in front of them.

"This is what you get if you let women take over the throne. We've been telling the princess to just let them be but she wouldn't listen to us and now we have to handle this mess. And this. I can't believe I take the time from my own leisure to be here. I thought that I would be meeting the emperor but instead, I have to meet his replacement. What a dull and unproductive meeting this is," Kathryn raised an eyebrow when she heard the duke's remark.

She raised her hand when the guards seem to be offended by the duke's word.

"And to think I have to listen to a commoner such as yourself playing empress," again he sighs while shaking his head.

"I don't know what was going on inside the emperor's mind when he chooses a commoner such as yourself to be the next empress of this empire. Do you have any idea what we think of his action? As the neighbouring country who signed the treaty, we have some concerns regarding his decision to marry you. Did you know that?" Kathryn shakes her head.

"Of course you don't. Why won't someone like you even want to know." The duke chuckles. The guards were taking a few steps forward when they met with Kathryn's gaze. They gave the duchess a small nod and went back to their position.

As much as it hurts to hear the duke mocking their empress, they can't do anything except to follow orders.

"Duke Charles. I hope you have some valid point to why you're belittling our duchess like that. We have limited time for each guests today. We are straying far enough from the main objective now," the countess tries to be polite.