9 | High & Mighty

ALVIA'S POV

Was that the same woman whom I had my one night stand with?! She looks ... different! Really different. Beautiful but ... that's not her. That's not how she was when we first met.

Where did the foul mouth Kathryn that I fell for? Where did that loud laugh Kathryn go? And how did my cousin manage to get her to be one of the court ladies? I smiled whenever I saw how out of place she was at dinner last night.

"Excuse me? I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall rather than an emperor." Frederick gained my attention by snapping his fingers in front of me.

"I'm sorry. What did you say?" I apologised and asked him to repeat what he said. He sighs but did as told.

"Sir Derrick manage to find one of many resistance camp? That was fast." I questioned. We did just had the meeting yesterday.

"That's what I told him but he told me that he has been investigating the group as well. Seems like there is a lot of our former ally went to their side." This is troublesome. I really wish I could avoid war but it seems that's far from what I wanted.

"Do you want Sir Derrick to approach this camp? Or shall we wait for them to make a move?" That is one tricky question. If we wait, we have no idea how far they are with their taking over Gralia Empire scheme.

But if we make the first move, that means we just lost the fight all together because I know they have been waiting for it. There must be a reason why they put such camp in such open area like so.

"It's a trap," I simply said making Fred confused.

"What makes you said it's a trap?" He asked.

"Because it's exactly what I'll do to lure my enemy into my territory. That place is just a decoy to capture our attention from looking at far bigger than that. My father has been dealing with these Resistance group since he's sitting on the throne. My father warned me about their dirty tactics. I believe this is one of them," I explained.

I don't want any of our soldier to be their victim. Their supreme leader preached that they're a group that believe in peace but in reality all they do is create unnecessary death and chaos.

"Alright then. I ..." I raised my hand.

"But that doesn't mean we don't have to investigate that place. Send a drone and observe their activity. With our esteem guest in the palace, we must be extra careful when it comes to these people." Frederick nods his head.

"Aside from this, I would like to inform you that the children home agreed to be part of the matchmaking process. I guess that is one good news for you." That's good news indeed.

"So ... what kind of test did my mother come up with?" I asked, curious.

"Cooking. Your mother believes that to find the perfect bride and of course, empress of this empire, that person should know how to keep you happy with food since we all know you like to eat. And also she wants to keep the tradition of where the empress is obliged to cook for the emperor's guest," I can't believe my ears.

"Does she really think all those women knows how to cook? I bet they never even went to their own kitchen!" Fred shrugged his shoulder.

"I guess that's one of her way to know who is qualify and who doesn't." I smiled. There is one candidate that I'm sure will pass the test with flying colours. She was a maid after all.

"You seem happy for some reason. Thinking about Lady Kathryn, correct?" I chuckled. It was funny to see everyone's reaction when Kathryn introduced herself as a commoner and a maid to boot.