16 | The Date

ALVIA'S POV

"At least pretend that you're having fun." Now I feel bad. I gave Natania an apologetic smile as I feed her a small piece of my chocolate crepe.

"What's on your mind, Alvia?" She asked as we continue to walk side by side. Natania was chosen to be my first date to the festival through a ballot.

"There's a lot of going in my mind. One of it was to find the culprit who sent those assassins. Was Kathryn their target or was it all of you? I don't want something like that happened again while you all under my care." Natania chuckled.

"What? Did you assume that we would let anyone hurt us? Alvia, you know how tough we are. Anyway, where should we go next? The merry-go-round?" I smiled.

"We should go to the place you wish to go to. It's not every day we could spend time together," Natania smiled back and pointed at the haunted house.

"Are you sure? You're the last person who I thought would be visiting a haunted house." Natania shrugged.

"I would like to explore a haunted house. I heard that it's supposed to be scary. Scarier than a real haunted house even. So I'm curious." Where did she hear all of this stuff?

"Also I heard from the maids saying that the spot where they built the haunted house attraction is actually haunted by a small child who died while visiting the festival many years ago." Ah ... the so call seven wonders of Gralia's famous festival huh. Even I heard of it while I was growing up.

It occurs when my grandfather was in reign. If I recall correctly, some of these 'legends' are quite far-fetched. Like the small child that haunts the haunted house. The merry-go-round that suddenly flares up after the festival is closed for public. The ferris wheel ride that will bless any lovers with a happily ever after.

The lady by the lake who's searching for his daughter. Out of all the seven wonders, I used to fond over the legend of the moon, the sun and earth tale. I don't know why but the female side of me once thought that the concept of true love does exist.

As I grew older with my condition and after what had happened between Tatiana, I just don't see the point of love whatsoever.

That, of course, changed when I met Kathryn. I have no idea how but that woman, really trying to get into my head.

"Are you even listening to me?" Natania sound pissed when I finally awakened from my daze.

"I'm sorry. What were you saying?" I asked. Natania puffed her cheek and pointed at the haunted house entrance.

"Come on let's go!" Natania seems too excited about this. We practically grew up together so I know perfectly well that she's not a fan of this kind of attraction. What's gotten into her?

"Are you sure?" I asked before we enter. She shrugged and grabbed my arm before we walk inside the haunted house.

As we step our foot inside, I could feel Natania's grip on me tightened. I was right all along. She was just putting on a brave facade all this time. The Natania I know is slowly emerging from its shell. I smiled when I realised how easy it was to lure her out from her tough exterior.

As for the haunted house, I am impressed. The scenery, the ambience, the decor, it suits the theme so well. Kudos to those who had work hard for making it a success.

"Alvia! Please don't get into your own world right now. We need to enjoy this while we can." While we can? What does she mean by that?

"Oh don't give me that look. All of us know you'll choose Kathryn in the end despite the result. She's the woman you met the night you went missing, correct?" My eyes widen. How did she know that? I thought Kathryn never told anyone.