38 | For Our Children

THIRD PERSON POV

"Care to have some refreshment, my lady?" Kathryn shakes her head no at the woman who releases her bound when she woke up earlier.

"Are you sure? You haven't had any drinks or food since you came here. We don't want to be a bad host," the woman smiled.

"It's okay. Besides I don't want to be poison," the woman or Rebecca tried to hide her anger from showing but she didn't manage to control her body from expressing it. Kathryn notices how her hands literally trying to break the glasses.

"Nicholas, it's futile. Let's just kill the woman and let the emperor suffer for this," Kathryn's eyes widen.

"No. We can't kill our esteem guest of honour. I'm sorry, my lady. My fiancée can be really rude to my guests. I'm sure you met me before," Kathryn nods her head.

"Sir Nicholas. I believe you're one of the ministers and used to be a member of the council," Nicholas's expression changes.

"Yes ... I used to be one of He elite in the eyes of the emperor but now I have nothing. No title to flaunt, no dignity. But that is not the reason why I asked Eleonora to bring you here," Nicholas stands up and went to Kathryn's back.

"You ... have the power to rule alongside the emperor now. Because this ring that you're wearing, it means more than a simple symbol of unity. It has been passed down from generations after generations of rulers of Gralia. The last wearer was an amazing empress, that's for sure," Kathryn grimaces when Nicholas touches her ring.

"Sign this form and I'll let you live. As much as I want the emperor himself to sign this, I can't do. I lost countless men just trying to get close to him. That Freida woman is one formidable foe. I can say the same with Genevieve but it seems last night she was busy smooching with the emperor instead of looking after you," Nicholas present the forms in front of the future empress.

When Kathryn tries to read the agreement, Nicholas simply places her hand on the writing to prevent her from reading the content.

"Now, would you please sign this form and we will go our merry way,"

"I was taught by her majesty herself. And the first thing she said to me never signed any kind of documents without the emperor's approval. No, I won't sign your document. Even if it means I have to die, so be it! I won't let the people of Gralia suffer just because I'm scared!" Nicholas sighs heavily.

"So young and naive. As much as I respect the last empress for moulding you to be the next ruler, I don't appreciate the way she made you think. The most important thing in life is saving yourself first before saving others. And as rulers, you need to be the first to be rescued because if you're dead, your people wouldn't have any rulers to look up to," Kathryn scoffs at his ideology.

"You willing to let your people defend themselves while you abandoned them? Is that how you show the newer generation? Is that how you want to see? As the coward who runs first when things get wary?" Nicholas shrugs his shoulder.

"I have my own vision as a ruler and you have your own. For me, the ruler stands above all while the people should protect those who ruled over them. Isn't that what they're doing for Alvia? That brat is doing the same since he rules the throne. He is nothing but a coward who sits on top of the throne worrying what kind of food should he eat next," Nicholas scoffs.

"Only idols would believe such a thing. You don't even know what he's been up to. You weren't there when he fell ill because of lack of sleep. You weren't there when he literally stay up all night thinking of a way to make Gralia a better place for his people. Everything that he's been doing all this time, was to clean up your mess!" Nicholas didn't realise that his hands literally made a mark on Kathryn's cheek.