11 | Alvia's Decisions

ALVIA'S POV

I was happy when Kathryn manages to impress my mother as she did. Even after her ingredients were tempered with, she still going strong and didn't disappoint at all. She even goes to the extent of helping her fellow competitor. That actually open my eyes.

But I simply can't disregard the others for their hard work. Especially Veronica. She's known to be aloof and the most ... childish even though she's a full-grown woman. But, even I can't ignore the fact that Veronica did a splendid job being the negotiator when Gralia was in need of one.

For Luna and Natania, I've been friends with them since they're little. We used to have a foreign language lesson together when we were kids.

"My emperor. I wonder, what do you think of the remaining candidates? I have a few concerns about it though." Does Fred have concerns? Really?

"What are your concerns, Fred?" I asked as we walk towards the meeting room.

"I have no problem with Lady Veronica and Lady Kathryn but why did you choose Lady Luna and Lady Natania? Even I know they're the worst of the worst when it comes to being the future empress," that's his concerns?

"You can't ignore the fact that they have the potential to be one of the greatest even with their selfishness. As much as I worried that my empire will be in shambles if they were chosen to be the next empress, they were raised to be a leader by their guardian. The way Lady Natania treated Kathryn by changing her ingredient and such, my mother told me not to be biased," but Kathryn did the unexpected by finishing the test with flying colours.

Even my mother doesn't know how did she manage to impressed her taste bud like so. She's going to be a formidable opponent if the others just see her as the commoner and not as a competition.

"Alright. I guess that's one of the reasons why you choose two ... how do I put this ... the most annoying and demanding human being I have ever met. Not to mention the house they're presenting. Is this one of your way to keep your eye on them?" I smiled at him.

"I know I can't fully exterminate the Resistance from my empire but at least I know what they're up to." Fred nodding his head.

"Oh! I almost forgot. Sir Derrick sent us a dossier of his investigating the Resistance group. Seems like we have bigger issues to worry about. If the information in this dossier is correct, we're facing something more than illegal gathering or some sort." What does he mean by that? I took the dossier and begin to read the information inside.

My eyes widen when I saw pictures of trucks filled with weaponry entering my empire illegally. How is this even possible? They shouldn't be able to enter freely without custom check.

"There's someone working under us that has been helping this Resistance trash, my emperor." I cannot believe this fact at all. There is a mole working for me.

"Sometimes I wonder what could have caused this. How did the group even exist? What drove them to be so determined?" I asked while looking through the dossier. I sigh when I came across the slaves that were forced to work under such an environment.

"Shackles, beaten if they ever stop working, is this what Resistance mean?" I questioned.

"Is there any way to help them?" My heart sinks when I saw pictures of children in the camp as well.

"My emperor ... I wish there is a way without causing a conflict but you know it's impossible." He is right. If I risk everything just to save them, they will attack the empire sooner. But if I let them be, God knows what will they do to these poor souls.

"There is a chance that they like to be this way. It's their fault for believing in the Resistance agenda. It's not that we didn't take care of them, it's their choice to be in the Resistance. And because of that, their children have to face the consequences. To believe in such a pointless goal was their first big mistake," Fred is the type of person who I admire because of his ideology.