29 | You Make Everything Alright

KATHRYN'S POV

"I'm sorry, milady. This will hurt a bit," the maid apologised before literally pulling the strings of my corset. Oh my God! I thought I was about to die just then.

"Is this necessary?" I asked while they proceed to pull another string. Can I even breathe in this?

"Yes. This is the crucial part. Fashion is pain after all," noble life sucks big time.

"Do I have to wear this every time I'm attending an official event?" The maids chuckled.

"Not really. But because your wedding just around the corner, we thought you might want some help," my wedding? Did they just roast me? I squinted my eyes while looking at them through the mirror.

"Critics can be vicious, milady. We remembered when They commented on Princess Madeline's wedding dress. It was the talk for weeks. But knowing the princess, she just doesn't care. But her majesty thought you might care. That is why as your attending maid, we want to avoid that even happening." That's determination.

But honestly, this will be the death of me.

"Please have a seat so we can finally finish your makeup and hair," again?! At this point, I just follow whatever they want me to do. Getting ready for this ball is exhausting. After what it feels like an hour or so, finally, it's done.

"Help me up, please," I offered them both of my hands before they pulled me up from the seat.

"How are you feeling, milady? It's not that bad, right?" I try to even my breathing while ignoring the fact that this corset is squeezing the life out of me.

"How do noblewoman even wear this kind of torture device like it's nothing?" I asked while making my way towards the door.

"The trick to wearing a corset is to imagine that it's not even there," they smile as they open the door for me. I walk out and just try to think about something else. I thought everything will go smoothly from this point on but I was wrong.

"What's wrong, milady?" I look down the stairs before facing them.

"I don't think I can walk down this stairs gracefully," I whispered. They both chuckled.

"Oh don't be that way. You can and you shall," they took the first step and while I am struggling to follow suit.

"Kathryn?" I was so glad hearing Alvia's voice behind me.

"Help me, please! It's my first time wearing this torture device and I don't know how to walk down the stairs," her face tells me that she has no idea what I'm talking about. But before that, let's talk about her attire. Damn!

I know I have only been seeing her wearing suits but somehow the way she presents herself today makes my heart flutter for some reason

I know I have only been seeing her wearing suits but somehow the way she presents herself today makes my heart flutter for some reason. Alvia's chuckling sound made me realised she's laughing at me.