Chapter 10

It took a week for his burns to show signs of healing. It seemed like the salve really was effective. 

Liu Wenhe could not summon even the tiniest bit of greatfulness for the emperor.

All his gratitude went to  Ling gi singlehandedly and diligently took care of him. Feeding him, cleaning his burns every once in a while, applying salve and making sure he was comfortable...well as much as he could be at least. 

The cleaning was a painful process. Although the burns themselves didn't hurt much,  the area around it stung on the slightest touch.
But the most agonizing moment was when Ling gi applied the salve the emperor had 'granted.'
As minister Hu said it was very effective but it burned so much his eyes watered from the pain (it was part of the reason why he couldn't bring himself to feel greatful to the emperor)  but he always bore it silently without a sound.

Ling gi who was acutely aware of his pain and couldn't help but flinch inwardly everytime he cleaned his wounds, was constantly amazed by his endurance.

One would not expect such a powerful soul within such a delicate looking vessel.

The man definitely had a stubborn nature seeing the look on his face when he answered his question. 

"You say my sister works under imperial consort Xing Li?"

Ling gi wordlessy nodded. 

"Who is known for being extremely black hearted and as cunning as a fox? " Liu Wenhe repeated his words, his face darkening. 

Ling gi nodded again feeling extremely uncomfortable under those piercing dark eyes. 

"How does she treat my sister?"

Ling gi thought for a moment and then answered.
"Imperial consort usually ignores her and doesn't bother with her... "

Liu Wenhe raised an eyebrow.  Oh. Think that my sister is too insignificant, do you? 
Well that was okay.  At least she didn't cause her to suffer.   

"How about the others?  How is she treated by others? "

"She is similarly not bothered by others,  be it servants or officials they simply treat her coldly and don't cause unnessary trouble."
Ling gi reassured. 

Liu Wenhe nodded, his face thoughtful. In the next moment he winced when the action pulled the skin on his back and pain radiated on his back. 

Ling gi hastily took a step forward. 
"please don't move, it will disturb the wounds"

Liu Wenhe smiled his agreement causing the poor boy to go into a daze but he was already staring ahead and out the window.

It seemed that he could rest easy for now. Except...

"Ling gi how long do you think it will take to completely heal? " He said without looking at him.

"I do not know but I think it will take atleast half a month till consort is even able to move with little discomfort."

Liu Wenhe sighed.

It was going to be the longest half a month of his life.