Chapter 11

Although very painful when applied  the salve was actually it incredibly effective. It was the 15th day after the branding but he could already move without feeling debilitating pain.

Ling gi felt ecstatic, a sharp contrast to the gloomy and indignant expression on his master.

The reason for his bad mood?

Well that was simple. He was mad because of the words branded on his back.

No, it was not 'dog'. Liu Wenhe wished that it was.

He wanted to laugh. Never thought he would actually want a permanent brand on his skin to spell dog.

But that would be by far, better than the words on his back. It was excruciatingly humiliating.

He almost lost control of himself and cursed aloud when he found out when he jokingly said it was not so bad being a 'dog'. Ling gi who quickly inderstood, dutifully corrected him of his blissful illusion.

He didn't know how to react to this insane situation. Even thinking about it made his face turn pink with fury and embarrasment.

"Ling gi, do you find this very funny? " Liu wenhe said with a glare but his pink face and red ears completely ruined his imposing act.

Ling could no longer hold back and giggled.

"I'm sorry but I just think that this word is better than dog."

Liu Wenhe gave him an incredulous look which caused the boy to break into another round of giggles and smile impossibly wide. It almost made him afraid that the boy's face was going to split into two. Almost.

But he was not mad at Ling gi for long. He was back to lamenting on his fate in the next moment.

The name of his fate... Jian Li Rong branded to his back, bound him in unbreakable chains that in this lifetime would not break and shackled him to that man...without any means of release and freedom.

Those thoughts disturbed and frightened Liu Wenhe when he didn't even frown at the rumors flying about him.

Ling gi being overly loyal, never failed to report about the rumors about him.

There were quite a few that should have seriously offended him. For example there was a rumor saying he was asoultely ugly and even looking at him could offend the eyes but contrasting rumors like he was a deviant that seduced the emperor and snatched the position of consort to enjoy a life of luxury actually made it a bit funny.
How could he seduce the emperor if he was ugly?

Really the people of this world appalled him.

But petty things like spreading false rumors and bad mouthing him behind his back...he didn't even need to bear with it. Bearing required effort and he just didn't care enough to do that.

The only one he was wary of was Jian Li Rong. That man was dangerous. He was dragging him into his world like a river does a tiny little leaf. The leaf had no choice but to go where the water took it.

Helpless to break free...bound until the river desired.

----------------

# AN: The brand on Xei Ming's back is the emperor's name.  😂