Chapter 30

When realization hit, the disbelief and fury that rushed through him was so cold that it burned.

The glare he sent the smirking crowd was monstrous in its intensity. Those pair of dark eyes smoldered like never-ending black flames. 

Brushing past he moved to see Meng Xiyi and Men Xin on there knees crying not far from the bloody boy.

Liu Wenhe hurried to Ling gi's side. Holding his breath he checked on him, afraid of the worst. When he felt the weak but steady breath he released a relieved sigh. He was alive, his pulse was stable and breath strong. He nodded at the girls with a faint reassuring smile and they slumped back with relieved sobs.

He glanced back at the unconscious boy bleeding on the ground and couldn't help but feel anger rising again as he looked. He just barely managed to calm himself down.

"You two go invite the imperial doctor. He needs to be treated immediately."

They nodded and quickly left. Meng Xin helped put the unconscious boy on Meng Ziyi's back and they hurried off. Liu Wenhe raised a bow. He had just asked them to invite the doctor nog carry Ling gi to him.

After they were out of sight Liu Wenhe slowly turned to the crowd. 

"Who did it?" His voice was ice cold.

"I did!" A voice called.

It was a middle aged man in the clothes of a palace guard. His expression prideful and righteous.
After him there were several men called out. They were all wearing palace guard clothes and righteous expressions.

It pissed him off even more. He couldn't believe they were so proud after beating up a helpless boy and making two girls cry.

"What is your name" He narrowed his eyes at him. "Why did you decide to attack him?"

"I am Zhang Yao. And what I did...isn't it obvious?" He puffed his chest. "He serves you and thus deserves a beating."

Liu Wenhe raised an eyebrow. 
"Is it a crime to serve me? And is it big enough to warrant such a beating?"

The guard snorted. 
"To serve a shameless son of a traitor and one that abandoned his own family. What I did was the right thing. "

"Are you telling me I am a criminal? I wonder what the head guard will think about your behaviour today?" His voice grew quiter as he pointedly looked at a certain guard.
The guard had a pinched expression but he remained silent.

Disappointed Liu Wenhe looked back at Zhang Yao.

Liu Wenhe nodded.  "I see" He pointed at Zhang Yao. 
"I challenge you to a duel."

The man guffawed.

Liu Wenhe sneered.  "What, scared?  Don't worry  I am not the kind of man who uses his higher standing to bully others."

The man didn't move, he eyes constantly moving to the handsome young man who shook his head. 

"You are not qualified to challenge me." He sneered at Liu Wenhe. 

He sighed.  "I'm dissapointed. The palace guards who are supposed to be strong. Who would have thought they would back off in the face of a slight challenge." he tsked.
"How cowardly."

"I'll show you cowardly." He roared and charged at him. If he hit him, it would probably hurt like a bitch and maybe even break a bone or two.   

All those who were watching knew that Liu Wenhe was in trouble. He should have kept his mouth shut and walked away.

But unlike what they expected, just before the gurd hit him, Liu Wenhe took a side step and easily dodged the charging guard. What followed caused everyone's jaws to drop in disbelief. He was playing with him. Like a fox does a little insignificant mouse which was not even enough to fill it's belly. He was smiling now...a sinful smile curving his red lips. If he had looked like a cold noble before now he looked like a sadistic devil.

"Stay still if you've got the guts" Zhang Yao gritted his teeth as he panted for breath already tired.

"Do I look like a fool? Foolishly rushing into battle blindly will kill you in a real fight. But then I wouldn't expect any better from a bull headed idiot. "

Furious the guard pounced on him again, screaming like a beast but he again landed on his back. Liu Wenhe directly slapped him to the ground but he kept getting up only to slapped to the floor like a bag of potatoes each time. By the 20th time Zhang Yao could no longer get up and he was beyond recognizable. 

Liu Wenhe on the other hand didn't look tired at all. He was even smiling...his smile finally reached his eyes he black peach blossom eyes narrowing as he turned to the guards who had recovered from their shock and we're now glaring at him. 

"What?" He chuckled. "Feeling wronged?  You can come at me anytime. You can even come together for all I care,  I can still crush you all to the ground and walk away."

With that he turned away anxious to check on Ling gi only to see a grim faced Jian Li Rong with Xing Li beside him. 

Oops.

- - - - - -

The beaten up guard immediately crawled up to Jian Li Rong like a worm and begged for justice.

Accusing of Liu Wenhe of beating him without any reason. 

Jian Li Rong remained silent his face expressionless. He did not even look at the Zong Yao. 

Liu Wenhe turned to the head guard but apart from frowning severely at his subordinate he didn't say anything. Guess he shouldn't expect much.  

He pursed his lips.

The guard was so happy that Liu Wenhe didn't protest and took advantage of his silence to exaggerate many things. 
"Shut up!" Jian Li Rongs snapped his eyes finally landing on the guard. 

"Receive 50 lashes, all of you" Then he turned away not bothering with them anymore.  Who would dare disobey the emperor himself. Zhang Yao was immediately dragged off while the remaining guards grimly followed.

Liu Wenhe also didn't stay behind hurrying off in search for Ling gi. 

Xing Li  looked at the retreating back of Liu Wenhe and felt increasingly uneasy. Her phoenix eyes flashed and her fists clenched under her sleeves.