Chapter 26

Liu Wenhe stood in front of the emperor with his head bowed.

"Do you know what you did wrong?"
The cold tone of that alluring voice made Liu Wenhe feel as if he had committed an unforgivable sin.

He took deep shaky breaths before speaking.

"Yes your highness."

"And what did you do?" Still the same emotionless tone.

He felt his heart sqeeze with fear.
He peeked up to look at those icy blue eyes and immediately threw away even the tiniest thought of lying. He would be practically offering his neck with a red ribbon bow if he lied even the slightest.

"I risked the crown prince's identity. I am...sorry." There. He was not good with words and he could only hope that it was enough.

The silence that followed made him want to squirm and try to properly apologize again. This fact annoyed the hell out of himself.

"Is that all you have to say?"

Liu Wenhe frowned in confusion. What was he talking about? He couldn't think of anything else he had done wrong.

He involuntarily jumped when a cold hand caught his chin and tilted his head up.
His gaze was caught and held by his  eyes. At this moment that domeneering gaze refused to let him look away and all he could do was helplessly stare into them.

"Don't tell me you forgot?"

"I don't know what your highness is talking about." Liu Wenhe murmered and tried to pull away. To his despair Jian Li Rong tightened his grip on his chin and even circled an arm around his waist to pull him so close he could feel his warm breath on his lips. He could only put his palms on his chest to keep some distance. This man unnerved him to no end with his unpredictable actions.

They stood like that for a moment. Not speaking. Their eyes locked, chests touching and faces so close that their warm breaths mingeled.

For some reason Liu Wedhe felt dizzy. He felt that if the emperor wasn't holding him up his legs would give away and he would fall to the floor. Probably because he couldn't withstand that scrutinizing gaze he argued. Even a stone would tremble under that unyielding gaze, Liu Wenhe huffed inside.

"The man you met at the restaurant."

The dazed Liu Wenhe could only dumbly reply. "The man...I met?"

For some reason Jian Li Rong smiled.

"Stay far away from him. He is not someone with whom you can bother. He is the heir to the Xing family...one of the pillars of the empire."

His words snapped Liu Wenhe back to his senses and he quickly pulled away.

It seemed he was too lowly to talk to the Xing family's heir? And it was not as if he had taken the innitative to talk to him okay? He would have been just peachy if that guy had not disturbed him at the resturant.

"Understood your majesty. This lowly person will not get close to the great Xing Ran Fei no matter what."

Juan Li Rong stared at the upright man in front of him. It seems that he jad misunderstood something but it did not matter. If the result was wjat he wanted and it did not matter.

"You still have to punished."

Liu Wenhe sighed. He knew he was not going to be pardoned. Regarding the emperor's mercy he had found he had non on the first day he had arrived in this blasted palace. He could only grudgingly accept the punishment. It was not unlikely that the punishment would be another branding. He back throbbed dully at the thought.

He grimly nodded. "I accept any punishment your highness deems fit."

"Sleep with me."

Liu Wenhe almost fell down on the floor. He stared at Jian Li Rong, horrified. Don't tell him he...

Jian Li Rong cocked his head suppressing a smile threatening to break out. "What a dirty mind you have, my dear consort. We'll only sleep on my bed. I'm not going to do anything tonight...or do you want me to? I have no problem with that either."

Die you bastard. Liu Wenhe's face flamed to the point even his milky white ears turned a fetching red.

He forced himself to laugh but it came out as a bit akward. "Your majesty is over thinking. This one was only thinkinh that it is inappropriate."

"How is this inappropriate? Didn't you say you'd accept any punishment?
This is your punishment for disobeying me."

Liu Wenhe almost coughed out blood. Even though he felt wronged he didn't say anything and could only curse internally as he obeyed and lay beside the emperor.

Liu Wenhe lay there in silenc as he stared up at the ceiling unable to sleep. Jian Li Rong suddenly turned and hugged him close, pressing Liu Wenhe's face close to his chest.

Liu Wenhe froze. "Y-Your highness?"

"Shut up and lay still. I am not interested in men in that way."

Then what are you doing hugging me this way?! Liu Wenhe was raging on but Jian Li Rong that bastard's breathed soon evened out and fell asleep with him still in his arms. Before he realized, he also fell asleep in the warm embrace of the man he should have been the most cautious of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry guys I can't figure out how to put up pictures and gifs in here because the option is no longer available. It tried updating and everything but I still can't find it. I'm sorry. 😭