Chapter 12

Ling gi was regretting he had teased Liu Wenhe.
The man had made an excuse and finally thwarted him to go outside.

"I need to go out. This shame will drive me mad if I don't distract myself and let some steam off" he said deadpan as if stating a fact unrelated to him. 

Ling gi was speechless. His master must be very desperate to stoop as low as taking him on a guilt trip...and he was ashamed to say that it was working. 

After all it was he who was responsible for Liu Wenhe finding out what was actually branded to his back. 

He tried again weakly.
"Something could happen to you-"

"Nothing will happen to me. Once I'm outside I'll not even move"

Ling gi looked at him with doubtful eyes which made Liu Wenhe chuckle. 

"I will just watch the scenery"

Ling gi still looked at him sceptically. The moon pavillion they were in, had been untended for a long time.  Although clean it was not groomed and could not be compared to other pavilliions which were groomed to perfection.  To be truthful there was nothing especially beautiful here.           

Liu Wenhe sighed.  He had to do something about the over grown weeds in the future. 

In the mean time he had to convince this sweet knuckle head. 
He pointed to the dressing table on which a simple flute lay.

"I won't be moving about but merely playing the flute." 

Ling gi's eyes grew as wide as a toad's.
His master could play? Wasn't he just a farmer's son? 
In this world the field of music was looked upon and not anyone could learn it so Ling gi was surprised. 

Liu Wenhe did not know this and raised an eyebrow. 

"Am I not allowed to play in the palace?"

Ling gi woke up from his daze and quickly shook his head.
"No no.  It was just that I didn't expect that master could play the flute"

Liu Wenhe smiled. "I can only play so and so.  Now come help me out"

Ling gi forgot all his worries in curiosity and eagerly helped him out.

Outside Ling gi helped in sit on the matt he had layed on the ground for him.  

Liu Wenhe patted the spot beside himself, becokining him to sit beside him.

Ling gi's face immediately turned horror struck and shook his head rapidly as if he was being asked to sit on a pile of needles and burning ashes. 

"I-I wouldn't dare"

Liu Wenhe wanted to roll his eyes but didn't insist.  The poor boy already looked like he wanted to run away. 

Instead he looked around. The condition of the garden was just as bad but today this garden looked beautiful.

It had drizzled very lightly in the morning and the high sun of noon that shined down made the water droops on the leaves sparkle like hundreds of tiny diamonds. The cool air smelled of sweat grass and earth and it gently stirred the leaves not enough to disturb the water droplets but enough to make it shimmer.

Ling gi was awestruck.  He'd never thought this garden could be this beautiful. He was busy being entranced by the garden's beauty when the most beautiful tune floated into his ears leaving dumb for a while. 

He quickly turned to see his master playing the flute with his eyes closed. 

The man himself like his music looked otherworldly in his beauty.Under the sun his fair skin glowed, his red lips and jade like hands on the flute-he produced music unlike Ling gi had ever heard.  It was pure and as clear as crystal and it shook him to the core.  It refused to let him go and dragged him deeper and deeper into it's embrace.
He was dazed...drunk on the music that Liu Wenhe made.

Liu Wenhe had lost himself in playing his flute, playing the beloved tune he played for his only friend and master Feng Tian. 

He did not know how long he played but by the time he stopped and opened his eyes he found Ling gi with his eyes closed, dazedly swaying side to side. 

He silently laughed at the funny scene.

From he corner of his eyes he caught something and turned. 

He was surprised to find Minister Hu staring at him with wide eyes and open mouth.

Beside him was the cutest boy of around six years old with black hair and golden brown eyes. He had a lollipop in his small white hands and his chubby cheeks were flushed pink as he stared at him with those  big browns...he looked like a rabbit. 
Ah so cute...makes one want to eat him up. 

Suddenly the boy pointed at him with his lollipop. 

"Beautiful goddess. I want."

Okay he took that back. The brat was not cute.