Chapter 25

After he brought Min Xin back she wouldn't tell him anything other than the fact that she was an outcast in her family. He didn't push her because he knew it was painful...to be hurt by the ones who were supposed to love and care for her.

He also didn't hide his identity and gender. He had been afraid that she would become wary but surprisingly she didn't seem to mind and only asked his real name.

After he had her cleaned and fed, she looked a bit less like she would faint any second. She even mustered her courage to talk Ling gi and Meng. He knew it would take time. He wanted to show her that wounds could heal and there was more to the world than just despair and hoplessness...that even though happy times never lasted,  the bad times never did either. 

For Min Xin her bad times had ended and her happy times had begun.  He'd make sure of that. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Liu Wenhe had just finished taking off out the troublesome makeup and clothes when an old man in his early sixtees dressed in a long gray robe came.

He called himself Huang Chen, the personal eunuch of the emperor. The moment he arrived Liu Wenhe felt a bad premonition.  He almost wished Ling gi and Meng Ziyi were here but he'd already sent them to go sleep. 

The old man was very humble as he respectfully cupped his hands but Liu Wenhe saw a deep and searching look in the his eyes just before he bowed...hiding his eyes. That look even if he'd seen it for a split second made him uncomfortable and disconcerted. He almost shivered.

However the troublesome thought was thrown aside when the imperial
eunuch said,  "His highness the emperor has called for consort."

Liu Wenhe visibly stiffened but his expression remained cool and neutral as always. On the inside he was crying to the heavens to just take him.  Anything but the emperor in his wrath. Even the thought of Jian Li Ring's icy cold eyes made him want to run away to the farthest corner of this world and never come back again. 
He internally shook himself.

Get a hold of yourself. You can handle anything he throws at you.  You have survived the cruel modern world, what is an emperor compared to back stabbing foxes and greedy wolves?

He took a deep breath. Yes, this was nothing compared to what he's been through. 

He raised his head with steel in his eyes which startled Huang Chen who had never expected for such a delicate looking person to bear such inner fortitude.

"May I know the reason?"

Huang Chen shook his head. 

"I am deeply sorry but I was not informed about the matter. Consort can only find out by going to the emperor."

With a calm smile Liu Wenhe nodded.

"I thank the imperial eunuch for the trouble. I will go right away."

"No your grace, it was my pleasure to do so." He cupped his fists and left.

Liu Wenhe stood there with a serene smile still on his face not knowing what his fate would be. He sighed. He wasn't dumb or dull.  He knew what the emperor wanted to talk to him about. 

He knew that by taking off his veil infront of everybody he had put Shou'er's identity at risk.

His punishment would not be small.