Chapter 24

Ever since leaving the resturang, no  matter what, he wouldn't let go of his sleeves.

If Liu Wedge lifted his hand to the right he would go right, if he lifted his hand to left he would stagger to the left. Liu Wenhe didn't have the heart to pry the little guy off.
The little girl Shou'er was extremely cute. 

Thus the two ambeled around with Shou'er tightly holding onto his sleeve like a lost puppy causing the passerbys to smile at them. 

They were walking when out-of nowhere Liu Wenhe felt someone bump into him so hard he was wrenched away from Shou'er and almost fell on his behind.  Instinctively he centered his equilibrium and righted himself. In the process he also caught the person who himself was falling. 

On closer look he was actually a she of around twelve. She had a head full of scraggly black hair, and was painfully thin, with bruises all over her face and arms. There likely were injuries all over her body.

The pained and scared chocolate brown eyes made Liu Wehe's heart clench.

"Stop right there you little wrench!" An angry roar sounded. A fat man with greasy hair, tiny eyes and big nose staggered forward panting hard.  He looked like a pig.

He grabbed the girl and wrenched her to him and shook her. "How dare you beg for food? You caused me to loose face in front of my friends. I knew you were bad luck.  Took your mother when you were born and now you are  intent on ruining my reputation. I should sell you off!" He roared clenching on her shoulders so hard the girl's face became pained.

The girl was trembling, tears streaming down her face her dry and chapped lips trembling.

"Fa-father..."

"Shut up. Don't call me father. You are not worthy of being my- Ding Zhao's daughter!"

The little girl flinched and even more tears sprung to her eyes. 

Liu Wenhe felt dark fury bloom in his chest.  He looked around. Quite a crowd had gathered but not a single person stood up for the little girl.  The pig probably had some backing.

Sneering Liu Wenhe stepped forward and grabbed the pig's sweaty wrist. He wanted to let go in disgust but he didn't. 

Ding Zhao's head snapped up to look at him. His already small eyes looked as if he'd completely closed when he narrowed his eyes. 

"Who are you and what do you think you're doing?" He said in irritation. Then he stared at him and gave him a lecherous grin. 

"Oh a young lady. Want to be my woman? I assure you,  you will enjoy a life of luxury unlike-"

Liu Wenhe grip on his sweaty wrist hardened. The grip grew harder and harder till the pig let out a shriek and let go of the girls shoulders.

He didn't let go until the pig dropped to his knees and snot and tears streamed down his face, miserably screaming. 

Let alone the crowd even Du Xin a seasoned assassin was shocked at the strength in that slender person. 
Shou'er was staring with widened eyes. His imperial father's consort was so cool.

"You are a stain on this earth" He let go and the pig slumped clutching his already blue wrist.  He sneered he hadn't even put that much force and he was already crying like a baby. 

He beckoned Du Xin who placed a pouch on his raised hand. He threw the pouch infront of Ding Zhao and gold coins spilled onto the ground. 

"I'm buying her from you. You no longer have anything to do with her"
The dirty pig grabbed the pouch and ran off throwing a glare at him. 

"See if I don't make you regret this!" He shouted as he ran off. 

Liu Wenhe turned to the girl who was staring at him fearfully.

"Hello, I'm Xiao Lu"

She remained silent flinching away from him.  He frowned. Maybe he looked too suspecious?

Resolved. He raised his hand and slowly took off his veil...revealing a head of black hair so silky it shimmered under the sun, hypnotic dark eyes meant to suck a person's soul twinkeled, plump red lips that could tempt even a priest were raised into a warm smile. Under the bright sun his smooth white skin took on an eternal glow making him look like a goddess descended from the heavens.

There were several gasps and exclaims. The people staring at him dumbfounded. This peerless beauty caused the pig to cry like a baby?  Who was she? Was she a noble woman,  a queen of a distant country?

Du Xin had a lingering troubling thought that he was forgetting something but he could't remember.  He was too busy gawking.  The consort was simply too beautiful, astonishingly strong and heroic. No wonder the emperor took interest in him.

The little girl was wide eyed.  Suddenly she was no longer scared...she felt like Liu Wenhe was a heavenly being who had come to save her from her father. 

"Min Xi" Her voice was so soft he almost didn't hear. 

He smiled, almost causing the surrounding people to swoon. 

"Hello Min Xin. Ready to go to your new home?" He streached out his hand and she timidly took it with a small smile.
Shou'er wansn't to be out done.  He took Liu Wenhe's free hand and the four left the place leaving behind a stunned crowd.  

----------