Chapter 31

Concubine Xing Li clenched her fists her her heart growing increasingly uneasy. 

Spinning on her heals she left the scene intending to go her pavilion but she found herself hurrying in the direction where the male consort had left in.

She was not dissapointed when she was finally able to catch up to him but when she saw the man who was with him she quickly hid behind a pillar in the corner. 

She frowned. Hadn't they left in differeng directions? How come they were together now? But looking at Liu Wenhe bowing and turning to leave,  it was clear they had just encountered each other. She let out a breath of relief and turned to leave. 

"Stop"
For a moment her breath caught in her throat and she was unable to move. 

But she soon realized that word was not for her.

"Does your highness have something for this consort to do?"

Her racing heart slowed down but a deep heaviness settled in her gut making her unable to move. 

The emperor's lips moved. "The events today. I know it's not your fault  and your servant will be compensated."

Xing Li grabbed her painful chest. Why did he have to lower himself so much for a mere slut. She was unwilling to accept this strange reality. It was like she was in a murky nightmare. 

There was a rustle of clothes and a surprised gasp making her take a quick look. 

The emperor had pulled Liu Wenhe to his chest. His face burried in his chest and arms dangling on his sides, he seemed to accept the comfort as he shook with silent tears. 

They stayed like that for a long time in each others arms. One comforting and the other almost reluctantly taking comfort. And every second they hugged concubine Xing Li felt as if her heart was being stabbed again and again.

Her face pale she was filled with despair. Although she was the emperor's concubine he had never touched her. Although he treated her kindly he kept her at a distance.

Even then, she had thought she would slowly make a room for herself in his heart. Although it would take time she thought that he would eventually feel the same kind of love she felt for him.

Seeing them hug so lovingly she felt as if her whole world had no meaning. Her only purpose in life, the only one she cared for was being stolen. She couldn't control anything and could only watch as her beloved slipped through her fingers like sand. This feeling of helplessness was almost too painful for her to bear. 

She grabbed at her chest, her heart in physical pain as all the difficult times she went through flashed before her eyes. All those times when she couldn't have what she desired and all the little things she had were ruthlessly taken from her, with her watching helplessly.

It was all repeating itself. She had thought that she was no longer that abused and helpless child. She had thought she would live a better life. 

She smiled bitterly. It seemed that she was gravely wrong. Was she doomed to this kind of powerless life. Was she fated to this kind of life?

A lone tear slipped from her eye and she looked up to see Liu Wenhe quickly pull away and flee in embarrassment.

The feeling of despair slowly faded as her heart burned with determination. No. She wouldn't give up. She would not powerless ever again. 

For the emperor there was nothing she couldn't do.
She wiped away the tear that had already turned cold and left without a backward glance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Xing Ran Fei  stood with his hands clasped behind his back his eyes gazing at blue mountains.

A man wearing a mask kneeled behind him.

"Did you find out anything?"

The man did not speak but handed a scroll to him.

Xing Ran Fei took it and was about to open the scroll when the door slammed open. 

He sighed and turned around. What a troublesome woman. 

"What is it that you want now?"

Xing Li was standing in the door way.

"You owe me a favour" She slowly walked into the room. "Today is the day you pay it back big brother."