Chapter 15

Ling gi had been agonizing over the little drama in the garden for a few hours now- imagining all the various terrible outcomes.

Liu Wenhe could be sentenced to death... or worse, tortured. He could be tortured until he wished for death!

Maybe could help his master escape... no, out of the question. The emperor would definitely find him and it would definitely cause him to order a harsher punishment.

What should he do?

Ling gi moaned in despair on the inside. He wanted to fall on his knees and beg the emperor for forgiveness on his masters behalf.

He was so terrified for his master that he couldn't stop pacing and muttering under his breath but the person in question was sitting by the window as cool as a cucumber fiddling with his flute.

When Ling gi saw that, he was infuriated.

Master! Don't be so calm when you could possibly die any moment!

Liu Wenhe just ignored him and with a calm...almost gentle expression pulled a knife out of his sleeve.

Ling gi froze in shock his mind going blank for a second then realization struck his mind like a boulder.

His master was not calm because he was not bothered. He was calm because he had made a resolute decision. Liu Wenhe wanted to commit suicide!

Horrified he cried out. "Master!"

He rushed forward his arm desperately reaching out to stop the knife dangerously close to Liu Wenhe's wrist.

It was as if he was rushing forward in slow motion. His pace was sluggish and too slow. Faster.

He must reach there faster but those milky white jade hand was faster.

The hand holding the flute dropped it and flew...almost faster than his eyes could catch and struck him squarely on the forehead.

"idiot!"

Stunned Ling gi rubbed his painful forehead and dumbfoundedly stared at his master.

Liu Wenhe was looking at him with disapproving eyes.

"what are you doing? Don't run like that toward me when I'm holding a knife" his tone was stern. "I could easily accidently injure someone"

Ling gi's face turned even dumber.

"Were you not...commiting suicide...?"

"Why would I try to commit suicide?" His expression incredulous Liu Wenhe said.

Ling gi was speechless for a moment before he could speak again.

"Master was holding a knife and happened I thought-"
He couldn't continue and sniffed tears threatening to spill.

Liu Wenhe's expression softened and he patted his hand gently.
"Don't worry, I won't try such a cowardly act. You should know I never run away from trouble...it isn't very manly now is it?"

Ling gi laughed shakily through tear filled eyes. "No, it isn't"

Liu Wenhe smile was so sincere it was blinding. "That's better" Before he could bring up the issue again Liu Wenhe beat him to it and continued.
His started carving on the flute his movements graceful and precise.

"Did you know that every part of a peach tree symbolizes different things?"

Ling gi stayed silent unable to speak and just shook his head.

His hands busy he said,
"The tree symobolizes longevity, the wood a charm to ward off evil and the peach blossoms are said to be used by magicians to bewitch men into falling in love."

"When I was born my parents planted a peach tree for me...on every birthday my parents would plant one for me.. " ...but they forgot to plant one for themselves.

Ling gi had never heard of such a thing but he couldn't take his eyes off of Liu Wenhe. Although his head was bowed he could clearly see the melancholic expression on that beautiful face- his eyes a thousand miles away but his lips still holding a smile.