Chapter 18

Jian Li Rong was disturbed. This kind of feeling was new to him.

He knew himself very well and knew what others thought of him. He could be cold to the point of seeming menacing and cruel but the truth was he simply didn't 'feel' much. He had emotions but most of them were very dull.

He was never elated or excited just pleased, never scared, never heartbroken or despaired but merely uncomfortable.

The fact that right now this man who he had met only twice could make him feel a twinge of guilt was down right frightening.

He felt guilt for what the delicate youth had to go through even though he couldn't have done anything.

The previous emperor had hated the whole family with a vengeance. He couldn't dismiss the imprial order without consequences.

At first he hadn't cared and carelessly added a few more seconds to the branding as punishment for the youth's behaviour. Now he couldn't help but regret a little.

He frowned. He never regretted his decisions.

He stared at Liu Wenhe trying to see what was so interesting about him.

Was it his etheral beauty? He scanned his face. He immediately dismissed the idea.

Although Liu Wenhe's beauty was very appealing he was not a man interested only in beauty. Then what was it about him that was so captivating.

He slowly spoke, "Shou'er's mother suffered from mental sickness...she died last year when I was in a meeting with the ministers. He watched...her pass away. He is still angry with me so I give the responsibility of taking care of my son to you. Take good care of my son." So saying he breezed out of the room.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bastard. He'd caught him off guard again.
He was afraid he could no longer take this kind of constant shock.

He had a suspicious feeling that Jian Li Rong liked to make him flustered.

The little fox's mother's death was shocking and heartbreaking.

It was no wonder he turned out like this. He remembered that rebellious behaviour of his and his trouble making escapades that Ling gi had told him about. He remembered that shocked and fragile look on his face when he had showed a bit of genuine kindness.

Suddenly everything made sense. He was merely trying to forget the sadness and despair of loosing a mother. Convincing himself when in he had no one but a busy father and a group of fake doting and 'loving' people around him that he was fine. Trying to distract himself by doing all those outrageous things. He understood because he was the same.

They had more in common than he thought.