CHAPTER 1

The soles of his feet throbbed painfully with every collision with the hard concrete pavement. It appeared to him as though he'd been running for years. His stomach churned of severe hunger and nausea causing even greater discomfort and bodily distress.

The sun was out in its scorching splendor as it glimmered high above the crowded streets. The packed streets contributed to the difficulty of the run for his dear life. He pushed, squirmed and squeezed through strangers, not even bothering to mutter apologies. His feet felt sore but he knew better than to slow down at such a desperate situation.

Occasionally, he would turn back at the dangerous gang of boys, desperately thrusting his swollen feet faster when he would noticed they were right on his tail.

His eyes stung of sweat and lack of proper sleep making this marathon for his life even more difficult. If only he'd been wise enough earlier, he wouldn't have landed himself in such a mess.

It had been a week since the strange incident. The news and papers still carried the same mysterious story. Two days after the occurrence, he'd found himself lost and confused in the unruly streets of an unknown town. He didn't have a family nor friend, not any he could recall.

It was almost fate as he'd caught the attention of the group when he was wandering the streets. Taken aback by the recent events, the boy didn't know what to do or who to seek help from. He was all alone.

Hungry, confused, amnesic and homeless, he wandered the lonely pavements of an unknown street. His stomach rumbled and his hands instinctively rushed to rub on it but all that was met was cold and rigid metal through a thin later of worn cotton. His fingers pressed down slightly against the handgun as it tickled his sensitive skin.

His hands had fallen limp allowing his eyes to trail over to the blood stain free shirt. He remembered when he had taken a fresh shirt from one of the rooms of that strange building.

It was then and there at his time of recollection that the gang had approached him. At first glance, they seemed quite cool and collected. They didn't spike up even an atom of malignance when they introduced themselves to him.

He'd felt a bit uncomfortable at the way they surrounded him though. He felt cornered and vulnerable but the words they were uttering held tales of a life of protection, food, accommodation and so much more.

Their sugary words seemed to over ride the boy's head, he'd been through too much these past few days to not accept even the slightest and most suspicious form of help. He'd endured alot and was ready to allow their words to block every atom of proper judgment.

Although he was skeptical and was sure there was definitely a catch, he decided to turn a blind eye to it, atleast until he'd gotten a decent bath and a proper meal.

Two days, he had already been with them for two days. In this period of time, he had earned respect and loyalty in ways he wasn't even aware of. He was becoming a brother, a member, one of them.

Slowly, the initiation was being completed. He had mindlessly performed the rituals, all that was left was the final stage. The inductance.

At the ceremony was a small gathering. It was quite suspicious as though there were all in a cult or something.

It was then that he was fully informed about the strange brotherhood and he wanted no part of them. With their reluctance to let him go afterwards, he thought it proper to make his intentions clear.

With a swift motion, he had pulled out his weapon at them. It was obviously a bluffed move and the show of disrespect angered the group. It was a terrible mistake that he'd made.