CHAPTER 12

Both men walked down to the last door on the corridor. The fowl stench of chemicals was slowly eating up  Colton. The man hated the smell of hospitals and having a doctor as a best friend didn't change that at all.

  The walk to the door seemed like an eternity for Colton with the pungent smell of drugs that came along with it. His friend busily watched as he scrunched his nose in disapproval, trying his hardest not to laugh.

  Eventually, they'd arrived at the room S was being admitted in.

"After you" Acker motioned to the door and Colton opened the light weight door, going it.

  The smell was more bearable in there as Colton perceived. The droopy eyed boy laid limbly on the hospital bed. He seemed to be affected as soon as he noticed Colton's presence. His mouth twisted into a small smile and his eyes perked up a bit as well.

"Sir" a faint whisper was let out and Colton's blank face morphed into a similar smile.

"He's lethargic because of the drugs" Acker explained and but Colton didn't even give a response as he heedlessly moved closer to the boy.

"Other than that, he's quite alright" Acker whispered but it seemed like he was talking more to himself.

Colton was looking down at the boy with a small smile while the boy's eyes shimmered up at him.

  Acker could read the vivid radiance in the boy's eyes. It wasn't just that he missed him, he could tell that there was something else. Acker immediately shrugged off his thoughts, perhaps it was as a result of the sedatives.

"Can he be discharged soon?" Colton asked but Acker sighed heavily.

"Well yes, but let's wait till the drugs wear off first so maybe, tomorrow morning" Acker advised and Colton nodded.

  Colton still had his eyes fixed on the boy when Acker left to attend to other patients.

"Sir, I'm scared" a barely audible whisper shakily escaped the younger's lips.

"Kid you're alright, they were trying to help" Colton said, attempting to take a seat when he suddenly stopped, getting back up.

"Uh, I gotta go back to work" Colton grabbed his shoulder gently.

"But it's almost six" the boy stated with a frown and Colton tilted his head a bit.

"How'd you know?" He asked and the boy's eyes drifted, staring over at the wall clock. Colton's eyes followed his and immediately he spotted the clock, he nodded, a small sigh slipping from his lips as well.

"Please stay" tears began to form in the boy's eyes and his head slowly turned to Colton's hand which was still on his shoulder.

"Please sir" his steady breaths delicately grazed Colton's fingers and the man quickly withdrew his hand, shrugging off the incoming memory that was just about to flood his mind.

"Okay" Colton gave in and the boy exhaled heavily, a managing grin forming afterwards.

"I'll call Agnes to bring fresh clothes and dinner" Colton said more to himself than to the boy.

......

  The next day, the boy was to be discharged. By instinct, Colton had woken up at a few minutes passed five in the morning and took some time to freshen up, putting on fresh set of clothes Agnes had brought him the night before.

  He hadn't slept well the previous night. The atmosphere itself just wasn't comfortable, it was his first night ever in a hospital and hopefully it'd be his last.

"Wow you actually stayed, I'm amazed" Acker commented as Colton signed the papers for the boy's discharge.

"Piss off, this place reeks of drugs and diseases" He groaned and his friend laughed at the scowling man.

   Colton finished signing and passed the papers to his friend. Acker, looked through them, nodding accordingly before eventually speaking up.

"You're all good to go, a nurse will bring him down... oh and don't forget to make him eat especially high protein and glucose meals" Colton gave his friend a nod and after bidding each other goodbye, Colton opened the door to leave.

  He was about to go when he accidentally bumped into someone. He looked down, the short blonde from last night, Allen.

"S..sorry sir" he shivered slightly under the man's gaze before averting his eyes and maneuvering his way past him and into Acker's office.

  Colton shrugged, strolling to the elevator at the end of the hallway.

.......

  Almost at the house, both men sat at the back seat of Colton's car. Colton noticed the boy was a bit distant and the silence wasn't strange since the boy never really was the talkative type.

"Sir" he finally broke the heavy silence and Colton turned to him.

"I'm sorry if I was being stubborn on making you stay last night" he muttered and the man sighed gently.

"It's fine" the boy looked up at him breifly with a radiant grin before quickly averting his eyes.

  With that, the ride home continued, still silent but Colton noticed the boy was not as distant, rather, he wore shimmering dough blue eyes as he stared out the window.

.......

  As soon as they reached the penthouse, Colton practically ordered the boy up to his room. After he went, Agnes popped out from the laundry room.

"Welcome sir" she greeted dully, her eyes were glued to the floor and her fingers picked nervously at her uniform.

"Is anything the matter?" He asked, squinting at her.

"Um, I found something sir" she confessed lowly and he raised a brow at her.

"Found something?" He asked again and she nodded, her eyes trailed off to the stairs and so did his.

"In the boy's room sir, a gun"

🇳🇬Happy Independence Day Nigeria🇳🇬