CHAPTER 4

"Do you understand?" Colton finished with a question, slightly in doubt if the still boy was actually listening.

  He gave no answer, remaining mute even as Colton got up from his seat to check on him. Even with the fact that Colton took a seat next to him, he still remained unmoving.

"Kid" Colton's hand propped on his shoulder, slightly shaking him to get even a minor conscious reaction.

  The boy flinched at the newfound warmth that lingered upon his shoulder, managing to part his lips and trying to force out the words. It was no use. His mind was blank and gradually, his vision blurred as well. A strange instant weakness quickly stripped him of energy. 

  Slowly, his limp body swayed in a wavelike motion. He rocked steadily from side to side and Colton began shaking him some more for good measure. Then finally, he slumped.

  He had dropped unconscious right in Colton's hands. He couldn't tell if it was the fresh bath but the boy felt cold to his touch. Colton was confused, he had no idea what to do but he did know someone who could help. He carefully placed the boy on the couch before searching his cell for the familiar name.

  While professional help was on its way, he decided to carry the boy upstairs. He slipped his arms underneath the boy, lifting him up swiftly. He was so light.

  He headed straight for the flight of stairs with the delicate weight on his arms. He thrusted each foot smoothly, almost appearing to jog up even with a boy in his arms.

They eventually reached the top and Colton paced to the first room on his right, the guest room. He managed to twist on the knob, kicking open the door wider. He then moved closer to the bed before leaning down and propping the unconscious boy down on the sheets. Then, all he could do was wait.

  Minutes later, help arrived in the man of Dr Acker Bolton, the Acre family doctor and Colton's personal best friend.

"Acker thanks for coming" Colton greeted as the elevator doors steadily parted, revealing the shorter but older Englishman.

  Both men exchanged curt smiles, a small tint of wary buried in Colton's eyes as he ushered his friend upstairs.

"Always happy to help, mate" his  accent swayed off his lips ever so delicately but somewhat playful as the pair jogged up the staircase.

......

"So he just fainted all of a sudden?" Acker absently asked his friend and the man nodded in return, watching as his friend further examined the unconscious boy.

  After several minutes of blood pressure check and various other exercises, Acker withdrew with a small relaxed sigh.

"He's very lean..." He started but his friend politely interrupted.

"...I found him in a nearby alleyway, old frat members were about to kill him so I took him in, I don't think he's eaten or drank anything in days" Colton explained briefly not noticing the questioning look Acker developed.

"Colt I thought I told you to cut ties with that accursed frat" Acker spoke up, his tone rich in disappointed mixed with a hint of agitation.

  Colton immediately went defensive, firing back a quick response.

"Those idiots weren't here for me" Colton shot back in deterrence to potential scolding from the Brit.

  Acker gave him a focus stared, studying his eyes for a while, searching for the truth which he wasn't too sure his friend was speaking.

"I just hope that's the truth" Acker pointed a bit accusingly but his friend just shrugged his shoulders.

"Shall we get back to the reason why you're here" Colton evaded the topic almost too quickly.