CHAPTER 9

Colton just had a few more minutes till he could leave. It wouldn't be long till he could go home and then continue working there. He let out a deep sigh, burying his exhausted expression in his hands.

It wasn't long when he suddenly heard his door being thrown and he knew the only person who had the balls to do such was Acker himself. He didn't even bother to look up when he let out a loud groan of annoyance.

"Don't you dare groan at me" he heard the familiar accent and he finally looked up.

"Acker what are you doing this time?" He asked, giving him a narrow but soft glare.

"Calm down, just here to give you a special surprise" he smiled suspiciously making Colton's brows furrow.

"You of all people know I hate surprises" Acker nodded raising his pointer finger at him.

"Ah ah ah, you'll love it" his small suspicious smile morphed into a wide creepy grin.

  Colton knew the older man was up to something but he honestly didn't have the time, he just wanted to go home now. Just then, his laptop beeped, five thirty sharp. Even with Acker there, he just got up, starting to pack up the contents of his desk.

"Your briefcase my good man" the Brit offered in an even thicker accent, slightly bowing and reaching out his hand.

"Uhn uhn" Colton shook his head, moving his briefcase away from his friend.

"Fine, I was trying to be nice but it seems you enjoy a petty Acker" He said, giving his friend a fake glare and crossing his arms over his chest.

  Colton rolled his eyes, leaving his office with Acker following closely behind him. As they walked through the other offices in the hall, Colton made sure to sound out warnings to a few slacking employees and they were all quick to reply with pale faces and overly compliant yes sir s.

  The pair finally arrived at the exit and as they went through the doors, Acker spoke up.

"I sent my ride away so you're dropping me off" Colton groaned, squeezing the bridge of his nose in between his thumb and pointer finger.

"Ugh fine, just tell Ray where you want him to drop you off" his friend grinned radiantly, walking ahead to whisper the destination to the driver while Colton got in the back seat.

  After a few seconds, Acker joined Colton then the driver got in as well. Colton noticed the never faulting grin on Acker's face making the whole situation seem even more suspicious.

"Acker what's going on?" Colton saw the need to ask.

"Oh nothing just that, I can't remember the last time it was just us in a car" Acker's smile seemed to drop with the snap of a finger.

"We never spend time with each other anymore" now, he turned away staring at the passing buildings.

"Come on Ack, we spend time with each other" Colton spoke up but his friend remained unfazed. He proceeded to nudge his arm playfully and he finally turned to him again.

"Okay tell me the last time we had our usual Barbeque" Colton's brows furrowed as he began to think.

"Didn't we do it in March" Acker's face contorted in sadness.

"March of what year, Colt?" Colton kept quiet, pursing his lips.

"But Acker you know what always called for such events and arrangements" Colton defended.

"I don't know a what but I do know a who" Colton's jaw clenched tightly at his friend's words.

"Ack please just don't" he turned away, looking through his window now.

"I'm sorry, that was rude of me" Colton nodded but still looking out the window.

  Several minutes of silence carried on but soon Colton started to realize that he recognized the neighborhood and passing buildings.

"Acker we aren't going to your apartment are we?" He asked, turning to his friend.

"Um...Colt" Colton face palmed and then the car came to a slow stop, parking at the usual VIP spot he used to occupy, it was a long time ago but he still remembered.

"Acker you fuckhead" Colton groaned.

"Colt please" his friend's voice turned slightly shaking.

.....

   Back at the house it was six sharp and the young boy was already propped in position in front of the elevator just waiting for Colton to arrive. Maybe he got the timing wrong, he wondered, looking over at a wall clock.

  A minute passed six, he looked back at the elevator. He got up to go get a telephone. He dialed the number inscribed on the phone and as he raised the device to his ear, the doors slowly moved apart.

"Sir!" He squealed but was immediately disappointed as Agnes stepped out.

"What is it, son?" She asked politely, walking closer to him.

"Sir hasn't arrived yet and I'm worried" he explained and she nodded.

"Maybe he had a late meeting or something" she suggested but that didn't subside his worries. He was still determined to call.

"I'll call" he informed and she agreed before going straight to the kitchen.

  The phone rang several times but no answer, he then called again. He continued on calling again and again, losing count of the numerous times it rang but no answer. He was still standing there with the phone pressed to his ear when Agnes informed him that she was done with dinner.

"Maybe you should give it a rest and just eat, he'll surely arrive" she said but he was reluctant so she gave up.

"I'll be on my way then, goodbye" she waited for a reply but he seemed to engrossed in trying to reach Colton.

"I can see you won't eat still he comes yeah?" He was still silently pressing buttons on the pad.

  She sighed, going into the dining area and putting a lid over the plate of food before actually leaving.

I got some inspiration today....Hope y'all are enjoying the book so far...Any guesses on where Acker took Colton?..