CHAPTER 17

Hey, just calling to check up on you ..

Where are you?

Are you home, please be home...

Call me when you get these....please

  He sat in the dingy coffee shop, a stingy crowd occupying the little tables while a short line led to the counter. His lips parted upon the rim, a firm and somewhat nervous grip on the styrofoam cup as he sucked in gradually, spilling the hot black liquid onto his insensitive tongue. The hotness tore through his throat as it trickled down, eliciting a small groan as his lips left the cup and a breath filled his lungs.

  The atmosphere seemed fairly calm, only light nattering of customers. Another sigh was elicited as his eyes wandered farther, slowly and silently searching for nothing in particular.

  His mind couldn't help but swarm with thoughts, the same he'd been shrugging off the whole morning. He stared down at the cup now, watching its steam slowly seep out and become one with the atmosphere.

  He had come here as an escape. A reproach against the shocking surprise of the morning but could he really abolish it, turn away and pretend like it never happened? Agitation stirred in the man's chest.

  The thoughts of what could have happened, if they had really gone all the way. He just hoped that it wasn't true, that reality was simply playing tricks on him. He shut his eyes, tossing his head back in internal anguish.

Please let this be a dream

"Colt?"

  A nerve jolted and his eyes darted open while his head simultaneously hauled forward in alertness. His brows raised in astounding surprise at the man standing just inches away from his table. Acker, a small smile tugged on his lower lip as he stood, dressed casual for the weekend in a blue tee and khakis.

"I've been worried since um....what are you doing here?" Colton didn't miss the cautious tone in his friend's first statement but he shrugged it off.

   Now, Acker's brows pinched in curiousity and Colton's reply got caught in his throat as the man suddenly began inching closer.

  Random responses reeled his mind as he watched his friend keenly, his Adam's apple bobbing with every swallowed excuse he failed to muster.

"Just here to grab a coffee s'all" he eventually found the words, his hand flicking the cup slightly for emphasis.

"At least it's not alcohol" Colton gulped at the man's absent mutter.

"Uh yeah" a nervous chuckle laced his quivering lips as his hand raised, fingers raking the nape of his neck in sheer nervousness.

"You okay?" The man asked, not allowing the anxiety lying in his chuckle to go unnoticed.

"I'm fine" he gulped down a stutter, watching as his friend's eyes narrowed down at him in deep concentration.

The heavy gaze on him outweighed his building up guilt and fear. A slight queasiness churned in his stomach as the knot in his chest tightened. It seemed like an eternity until it all broke out with a familiar tune.

   A breath was freed from Colton's lips as his friend fished out the device quickly from his pocket. His eyes glued to the screen as he looked over what Colton assumed was a text message.

"Gotta hurry" his hand shoved in his pocket, placing the cell safely inside as he bade Colton a curt goodbye before walking towards the counter, the non existent line was gone by now.

  Colton relaxed with a steady huff at the departure of his friend. As Acker left through the doors with his take out, Colton's eyes instinctively followed through the glass.