CHAPTER 32

The air was asphyxiating. Cold silence bounced off the thick white walls, smothering the highly uncomfortable raven haired boy. He swallowed down a thick lump, raking his eyes over the scene. Plain walls, brightly lit room, a few books situated on a redwood shelf at a corner, the windows were open although the blinds were shut making ripples of sunlight rest on the baby blue rug centred on the tiled flooring.

His eyes darted up at the plump brown skinned woman seated opposite him, Dr Hathaway. Her lips were curled in a pursed smile and a tinge of artificial blush graced her cheeks as she flashed endearing honeydew eyes at him but her calm demeanor was no match for the crass danger emanating from the stone faced man seated on the opposite end of the chaise lounge he was propped upon.

His skin sizzled as he shifted uncomfortably, away from the source of the tension that dominated the atmosphere. His body clung to the armrest as he did his best not to provoke the man. His gentle eyes sunk down in dejection as he sat stiffly, avoiding the intuitive gaze of the woman but most importantly, keeping eyes away from Colton.

Why is he even here?

Colton had indeed promised the boy he'd be with him all through the process but that was long before their little fall out. The man's presence felt like a heavy weight squeezing the boy's lungs, forcing out what little amount of energy he would've used to at least speak a word to the older woman.

"S give her an answer?" His head darted up, meeting the lady's face which he noticed contorted slightly. It appeared she wasn't very fond of his interference.

He sucked in a breath, swallowing the hard rock that'd been lodged in his throat the moment she uttered the question.

What do you see in your nightmares?

His voice seemed to have been stolen from the very moment Colton had taken a seat right next to him. From that point onwards, his nervousness had aggravated. He'd leaned away from Colton, acknowledging the fact that his entire body wanted nothing yet everything to do with him.

His eyes began to sting, his heart raced and his breath picked. He was nervous, queasy and nauseous but managed to vomit a few words.

"A table..." His sullen eyes diverted to the recording device placed precisely on the enamel coated table before him. He gulped hard, looking up as the woman's fingers grip tightly on the notepad in her hold.

"A dining table with..." He paused sluggishly, his eyes urged for a view of Colton's face. He wanted to see his face, soak in his beauty and quench his internal fires in the process but he knew to take caution and stop to bask at his shoes instead.

"Faceless people" he spewed quickly, almost as if the words tasted like burning hot acid. He gripped his left thumb with his right hand tightly, shifting slightly in his seat as his brows furrowed in despondence.

"We were having dinner and then..." The words were heavy, adding in weight with every one he uttered.

He was on the edge now, his eyelids fluttered and his vision blurred, whether it was from the tears or his suffocating lungs, he didn't know but one thing he noticed was the thinning supply of oxygen to his body. He was weak and he was falling into the dark, sinking deeper and deeper.

"S!" He heard, but it was too late. The darkness had embraced him, leaving only gloom and misery but not before he got a quick glance of a glossy eyed Colton.

......

"Colt you know he'll never get better without you" voices were whispering lowly but loud enough that he could decipher the words and the familiar accent.