Chapter 7

I just finished training with Broccoli boi. It was fun, I hope to train with him again. Now I have to get home before dark. There has been an increase in crime and kidnappings. I don't feel safe walking home anymore. Now, whenever I'm alone I feel like someone is watching me. Yet, when I turn around no one is there. I'm worried that it might result in using my quirks. I hate this feeling, it makes my stomach drop. I can't deal with the isolation. Not again, I can't handle it anymore. I'll be ridiculed if others knew the full extent of my power. At least I have an hour till nightfall but I have to get dinner for me and my mom. Right now, an emptiness is spreading throughout my chest. It's the same feeling I get when losing control of my quirk. I feel a part of myself is missing ever since she died. Nothing feels the same anymore but I can't let anyone know about this. The only thing I have to cope with this is dancing.

Flashback: Brought to you by Caterpillar Man (AKA Aizawa)

I was training as an apprentice along with a group of 20 girls who were at least 5 years older than me. They thought I was lost at first. At the time, I was barely 12 years old. Not even a minute later the teacher introduced me as a new apprentice. then they realize I was also competing for the position of principal dancer. Then, their confused gazes turned into glares. They were all just whispering about me. I started to feel trapped inside a bubble in total isolation. They saw me as a child and thought that I wasn't worthy to be an apprentice. They assumed I made it this far with my parent's wealth. This was far from the truth. I had a single mom and was here through a merit-based scholarship. Of all the time I spent training, you always pushed yourself till you could barely walk. Everything would hurt the next day. Even breathing was painful because of my sore ribs. Yet, the next day I had to push myself. I had to prove that I earned every opportunity. At least, I didn't feel like this at home.

I was always greeted with a bright smile from my little sister. She was so pure and could bring a smile to anyone's face. I always tried to be the best big sister I could be. Although I was busy with training and school. I tried to always make time to bond. She was the reason I believed I was worthy enough to be the principal dancer. She gave me hope and always asked to see me dance. Her eyes would also twinkle whenever she saw me in my pointe shoes. She would even try to copy the movements. It was cute, I made sure to carefully guide her through each step. These are my favorite memories of Esperanza. She would always have a bright smile on her face but it masked something deeper.

This memory gradually brought tears to my eyes. These emotions make me feel pathetic. I have to be strong for my mom. I checked to make sure the street was empty. Then, I started dancing to get rid of this bitter feeling. Eventually, I noticed the sun was going down. After a few minutes, I took a deep and forced to my chin up with a smile on my face. I can't have people worrying about me. I'm not worth their time. Why am I so weak?