Episode 13

In the 2010-2011 season of the National Basketball Association (NBA), there was no other player who was hyped by the media more than the youngest awarded Most Valuable Player (MVP) Derrick Rose. It was because the 22-year old Derrick Rose singlehandedly carried the lowly Chicago Bulls to a 62 wins-and- 20 losses season record and successfully entered the Eastern Conference Finals. Unfortunately, the stellar popularity of D-Rose only stayed a moment because he was stricken with a career-ending anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury on his left knee.

D-Rose's case is a concrete example that we are ranked according to utility. That when we cannot anymore deliver the task expected of us, we are sidelined. That when we lose our economic value, then we are abandoned. That when we are not anymore loved, we are forgotten.

In today's gospel (Luke 8:1-3),we notice that the first followers of Jesus were seen by the world as weak, poor, and sinful yet those inadequacies did not prevent Jesus from valuing them. It only goes to show that God never looks at our unworthiness and incapabilities instead He looks after what He has in store of us. God is persistently inviting us to partake the joy of His kingdom. May we respond to this invitation courageously, after all, God qualifies whom He invites. Amen.

TGIFY-Reflection #13
(Thank God It's Fri Yey!)
September 20, 2019