Episode 29

In a mental hospital, there was a lady, who for many years has neither responded to any conversation nor uttered any word. Every 5 p.m., she would get her chair and be seated in front of the wall silently. The janitor noticed the patient's routine. So out of pity, he decided that after his duty, he will get a chair and be seated beside the patient. The janitor did this act faithfully. After six months, the lady finally spoke, "I'm thirsty.." From then on the janitor would give the patient a glass of water. After two years, the patient finally opened up her problem. The janitor persisted in what he did until the lady miraculously got healed.

I guess, there are three kinds of deafness in us. The physical ailments that block our eardrums to be able to listen. The emotional paralysis that disables the ear of our hearts to listen to the affection of the people around us. And more profoundly, the spiritual impairment that closes the ear of our souls to hark to God's abundant love for us.

In today's gospel, we see three remarkable actions of Jesus to a deaf-mute man. First, He separated the man from the crowd. Second, He touched the ear and tongue of the man. Third, He spoke, "Ephphata! (that is be opened)." Then the deaf-mute man recovered his hearing and was able to shout with exultation to the Lord. Whenever we feel we are in isolation that none would help us in our particular deafness, God is preparing us for the miracle He will bestow. When we are ready, God will touch our different kinds of ears to cleanse us from the wounds. When our ears get cleansed, He will open it for us to listen on how much God loves us and we cannot but speak only of praises and worship to God.

May we never lose faith that God is about to heal our deafness. Amen.

TGIFY-Reflection #29
(Thank God It's Fri Yey!)
February 14,2020