Episode 31

In one of the school days, a teacher approached a sobbing student and asked, "Why are you crying?" The student replied, "Ma'am I haven't seen my dad for a very long time. I just missed him." "You know what," the teacher continued, "there will come a time that you will stop crying and celebrate. Your dad will eventually come. It might not be now but he will come." "Is that so?" the student replied. Then the teacher answered, "Yes! I believe so because I haven't seen my dad for more than half of my life but when I met him, it was such a bliss. If it happened to me, then it can also happen to you."

Whenever we talk about waiting, we cannot deny the pain that goes along with it. We have many things to wait like the results of the licensure exams and medical check-ups, or the person whom we long to be with. The pain of waiting is usually a mixture of emotions. We can be impatient and at the same time be patient, anxious yet calm, or be both pessimistic and optimistic. Bottom line, the pain of waiting is the season of our uncertainty. But what if the one we are waiting for has already arrived but it is just that we lack the capacity to know him or her?

In today's gospel, we encounter the disciples of John the Baptist asking Jesus the reason why the Pharisees and themselves fast while Jesus' disciples do not. I guess, when the disciples of John asked Jesus regarding this matter, they were unaware of who Jesus is. John's disciple was face to face with God the Son but unfortunately they missed the value of the presence of Jesus. Due to ignorance of the divine presence of Jesus, the disciples of John and the Pharisees remained in the miserable fasting in the face of a supposedly feasting personified in Jesus. God wants us to enjoy the banquet He has prepared for us. May everyone of us be in jubilation with Jesus instead of enduring the unnecessary pain of waiting. Amen.

TGIFY-Reflection #31
(Thank God It's Fri Yey!)
February 28, 2020