Episode 28

Before the dawn of internet and text messaging, there was a young couple who would meet under the shade of the mango tree every day. As a sign of their strong love for one another, the girl would bring letters to the guy and in turn the guy would bring flowers to the girl. The two promised to marry each other and build themselves a garden that is like a paradise. Until one day, the girl did not anymore show herself up because her parents brought her right away to America. Despite, the painful surprise, the boy continued to love the girl from afar by putting flowers under the mango tree until his last breath.

A promise is defined as a declaration that one will do or refrain from doing something specified. On the one hand, whenever we encounter proofs of promises being fulfilled; be it a golden wedding anniversary, the release of insurance benefits, execution of political platforms, or a simple family reunion, we cannot but rejoice. On the other, whenever we see people breaking their promises like the business scams, marriage infidelities, civil perjuries, or mere cancellation of a family picnic, our hearts shatter. However, will carrying out a promise guarantee us happiness?

In today's gospel (Mk 6:14-29), we focus on the thing that happened to Herod. Herod carried out his promise to the daughter of Herodias but at the same time caused him a lot of pain and anxiety. Why was that compliance of Herod to his oath became a sorry one? I guess, it is because he chose pride and social image over the truth and the good he knew. At some point in our lives, we are like Herod who has fueled our promises with arrogance and hypocrisy. Then the longer we fill ourselves with these fuels makes us unhappier day by day. God wants us to be happy just like John the Baptist who humbly vowed to live and preach the truth even to the point of death. May we learn to make God increase in every promise we make. Amen.

TGIFY-Reflection #28
(Thank God It's Fri Yey!)
February 7, 2020