Episode 20

One afternoon, a six year-old boy went to a sari-sari store to look for a toy. The boy asked the personnel, "Sir, do you sell toys here?" The personnel replied, "No we don't." The next day, at the same hour, the boy went again to the sari-sari store to ask whether they sell toys there but to no avail the young boy received the same negative response. However, the young boy persisted to go to the sari-sari store at the same time for three consecutive days asking the same question whether the sari-sari store has toys available. At this point,the personnel already lost his cool. On the fourth visit of the young kid, the personnel angrily told the young boy, "WE DON'T SELL TOYS HERE! IF YOU WILL REPEAT THE SAME QUESTION, I WILL SHOOT YOU!" On the next day, the young boy went again to the sari-sari store and calmly spoke, "Sir, do you have guns and ammunitions here?" The personnel replied, "Oh we don't." The young boy replied, "Oh! What a good news! Sir, do you sell toys here?"

Being clever has always been an advantage to whosoever possesses it. Out of this quality, we find people in pyramiding schemes who amass wealth exponentially. Then there are the people in the government, organizations, or companies who have mastered the art of corruption and suddenly become rich.

When Jesus praised the clever man in His parable in today's gospel episode (Lk. 16:1-8) He did not intend to praise the evil deeds of the man. Instead, He acknowledged the good things cleverness could bring especially when this attribute is used for the sake of the Kingdom of God. In our context, we can make it a point to creatively promote the life of prayer in our own homes. Also, we can introduce the life of Jesus in our acquaintances and friends as the timeless trend, both in real life and virtual sphere. After all, cleverness is also God's gift to all of us that we ought to use only for the good. Amen

TGIFY-Reflection #20
(Thank God It's Fri Yey!)
November 8, 2019