26

Where do I begin?

Where do I begin?

42 days after praimfaya, Clarke and I managed to climb our way out of the rubble. We dug out the rover from beneath the sand, driving our way to our main priority. Polis. With the oceans dried up, it made the task easier. Buildings were broken, villages were ghost towns and life seems nonexistent.

When we made it to Polis, we were met with a broken and dead city. My home was unrecognizable. Every trace of the once beautiful capital was fine. Clarke and I tried to dig out way through the debris to get to the bunker, but without the manpower, we wouldn't be able to get through it.

We went to Arkadia and Tondc, home to nothing but ghosts of the past. We spent two months roaming through the deadlands, trying to stay alive. If it weren't for Clarke, I would've been long gone, the both of us have kept each other sane. She found comfort in reporting to spacekru daily, even though she'd get no response. I, on the other hand, leaned on art and Lincoln's old journals.

It wasn't until we finally seemed to be giving up hope did we find salvation. In all of this wasteland, we found our hope for a better future. A place that would become our new home for the next five years.

Shadow Valley.

The valley didn't just bless us with food and shelter, but our little night blood, Madi. It took a while for the little girl to trust us, but in the end, she came around. Madi reminded me of Qetsiyah, seeing as they both shared similar characteristics.

Back to the present...

We drove quickly through the forest, Clarks eyes focus intently on the road ahead. Madi leans forward between Clarke and me, afraid of what we were running from. "Who are they? Why are you guys scared?" Madi asked Clarke. I sighed, placing my hand over the little girl's to ease her worries.

Madi looks to me when Clarke didn't answer. "We won't let anything happen to you, Madi. Don't be afraid. Do you understand me?" She nods, before looking towards the front.

"Well, maybe they're friendly."

Clarke gulps, thoughts running through her head. "Maybe. Look, until Eclipsa and I figure this out, I want you to hide in your secret spot."

Maddie is quick to argue back, wanting to be with Clarke and I. "Madi, listen to Clarke. This is not up for discussion." Madi frowns, as Clarke stops the rover in the village.

"Promise me, you'll stay in the hole." Clarke urged as Madi clutched into my hand.

"What about you and Yongon?"

I bring my hand up to Madi's right cheek. "We'll be back before you know it. I promise." The little one nods obediently. "Now, promise it to Clarke," I state, placing my hand on her shoulder. Madi does so before Clarke passes her a pistol and says a few last words. Once every last thing is said, Madi runs out of the river and towards her hiding place.

As we drive through the forest, I look over to Clarke, knowing she'd want me to do something other than going with her. It's expected, after the time we spent in this valley.

"Okay, Eclipsa. I need you to go to the cave and load the guns." Clarke commands me, wanting to keep me out of it for now. I nod, before grabbing my mask and bow.

It didn't take Clarke long to get to the cave and help me load the last of the guns. As we finished up the last gun, a gunshot went off in the distance. Near the Village. We both quickly get out, rushing to the village. Madi must've been found and we needed to make sure she was okay. My heart quickly beats, afraid for Madi.

After the six years of peace and no violence, we're back to this again. We're back to fighting to survive.

As Clarke and I make it over a hill, we can see two men standing over Madi, one with a gun and another trying to talk the man down. I aim my bow towards the man with the gun, shooting him in the shoulder. When the arrow embeds into the man's shoulder, he screams out in agony. He falls to the ground in pain. Clarke runs forward starting her attack on the bald man.

The other attacker gets up from the ground, attempting to charge me. As his fist shoots forward, I duck out of the way. When I come back up, I'm cut off by another blow from him. I grunt in pain, slamming my foot onto the man's knee. He shouts in pain, crumbling to the ground again. Before I can finish him off, a bullet shoots through his head, his death quick and fight over.

I turn in the direction the shot came from, eyes falling on Madi. Her eyes remain wide, hands shaking and clutched onto the pistol. "Madi." I sigh, rushing to her side with Clarke. The blonde takes the gun out of Madi's hands, reassuring the younger girl.

Once Clarke takes the gun, she points it towards the bulky man, who lay on the ground trying hard to breathe. "Wait. He tried to help me." Madi pleaded with Clarke. "I think he might be a good guy."

I place my hand over Madi's eyes, knowing what Clarke would do next. "There are no good guys" Clarke states blankly, shooting the man in his forehead. Madi gasps, flinching away from the noise.

We'll never get to have that peace we dreamed of. We'd no longer have a carefree life and would go back to having to fight.

I've always favored the kill, but envied the peace and thought of a life with no more wars and bloodshed.