NINETEEN : THE CALM

"Okay guys, so for today's prompt I want you to write a piece to someone in your life

"Okay guys, so for today's prompt I want you to write a piece to someone in your life. It can be someone you love, you look up to, or just a special someone. It's up to you" Kate, the writing coach announced to the class.

She turned to the white board, jotting it down as she continued speaking of the prompt for the workshop.

"Do you know who you're going to do?" Micah asked Kayla, who of course already started.

"Yeah" she replied, "You?"

Micah scratched the side of his head, as the inspiration to write the poem wasn't coming as easy as it seemed to be for everyone else. He wasn't one to be mushy, so to express his feelings for how he felt about anyone was foreign to him.

"Not yet" he said, tapping his finger against his phone as he stared at the notes.

"Don't overthink it, just...let it flow" she said with a smirk, reiterating his own words back to him.

Micah jokingly scoffed, but knew she was right. Writing had to come natural, it had to be felt, or else the passion just wouldn't be there. Unfortunately at the moment he wasn't feeling that, not at first anyway.

With only a few minutes left on the clock, the person he wanted to write about popped into his head. His hands began to feverishly record the words in his notes, only for Kate to finally yell times up.

"Okay, who wants to go first?" She asked looking around the class.

A wave of hands raised, again everyone except Micah fully prepared. With his head down, he continued to release the overflow of words in his head - as he didn't want to lose it.

"I will"

Micah raised his head at the sound of Kayla's voice. He was surprised, but pleasantly; Kayla was always too nervous to participate - her fear of crowds or just people in general, the main reason why she just liked to watch instead of going up herself.

"Ohh okay Kayla" Kate smiled, "Do you have a name for your piece?"

"Ummm, not yet" she nervously spoke.

"That's fine, we're ready when you are"

Kayla nodded, slowly making her way to the front of the room. For once she wished the kids in the workshop were like the ones at school, too rowdy or disconnected to care that she was presenting in front of everyone. Instead all eyes were on her, and she suddenly regretted the choice to step out of her comfort zone.

Micah on the other hand was extremely proud; Mouthing to Kayla to breathe as he could tell she was extremely nervous by the way her eyes were screaming for help. She cleared her throat, and looking up from her paper she finally spoke.

Micah's heart sped up as he began to catch onto the theme of the poem.

He tried his hardest to keep his cheesy smile at bay, instead his eyes growing wide with every alliteration and similes she used to describe him as if he was a piece of art. And while at first she was extremely nervous, the new found confidence in her tone was quickly felt around the room - her words hitting everyone and it was clear that Kayla's poems were meant to be heard.