TWENTY ONE - VALUE

"I just cannot believe he proposed to her, after I allowed him to come back into my life - he does this again

"I just cannot believe he proposed to her, after I allowed him to come back into my life - he does this again. Muhammad will definitely be hearing it from me" Lacey spewed through the speaker of Azure's phone.

Azure pushed her eyebrows together, giving the phone a grimace as if her mom could see the look on her face. She noted that her mother had been going on a tangent since before she left out the house this morning, and she was twenty minutes into her route to the kid's school.

"Mom, if you're going to forgive Muh completely you have to accept this stage in his life where he's with Jocelyn. She isn't even that bad I really don't see the problem" Azure rolled over her eyes.

"How about the fact that I was in the front row of all the stress he put my best friend through twenty five years ago, drove her into an early grave" Lacey insisted.

"Mom-"

"It's true Azure, she was fighting for her life and he was fighting for...other things. Everybody wants to make it seem like Muh is the most high, despite the dirt he does because of those same old tired ass community drives"

"Okay, I'm not having this conversation with you" Azure chuckled, more so in a way to subside her irritation with her mother's rambling, "I get your point, I do Mom. But that was years ago, and you have to decide if you're either going to accept it and be in his life, or —"

"Not everyone is as forgiving as you Azure" Lacey interjected once more.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that Nico isn't innocent, but everything he does you're so easy to forgive and forget. Men take note of that - and that's how they run over you."

Azure suddenly regretted all the times she went to her mother in confidence when her and Nico were having problems. While she always swore she didn't judge and that Azure's marriage drama was nothing that any other couple didn't go through - Azure couldn't help but see the shade casting heavy on her.

She pulled into the parking lot of Bright Side, giving her a perfect excuse to end the call.

"I have to take the kids in, I gotta go" She hung up before her mother could say another word. She knew she would definitely have to hear about that later, but at the moment she didn't care.

If she was being honest, she liked her mother better when she wasn't divorced. It seemed like the split with Azure's father was the turning point for Lacey, as her bitterness grew over the years. Sometimes her negativity overflowed - up to the point she began to stick her nose into her daughter's marriage.

Azure could still remember the speech her mother had given her when she had quickly forgiven Nico for dancing provocatively with another woman. Yet she could only be upset with herself, because no matter how many times she told herself she would stop - she always called her mother with her problems. They weren't huge problems, but problems nonetheless.