TWENTY TWO - FED UP

Nico set the plates at the dinner table after washing them at the sink, counting each one in his head to make sure he had enough for everyone who would be in attendance

        Nico set the plates at the dinner table after washing them at the sink, counting each one in his head to make sure he had enough for everyone who would be in attendance. Donnell Jones played throughout the kitchen - pouring into the dining area along with the aroma of soul food. Along with cooking for his father in law's family, Nico wanted to make all of Azure's favorites to show his support for her decision.

He was aware that sometimes he could be difficult, and while at first all he could think about was having Diamond in his home the situation was bigger than that. Azure wanted the chance to have her father in her life full time, and unfortunately a big part of Robert's new life happened to be tied to Nico's old life. But he could get over that.

"When you love someone, you just don't treat them bad. Oh how I feel so sad, now that I want to leave" Nico sung to the top of his lungs, sliding his hands into the oven mits and pulling out his perfectly golden brown cornish hens.

"Damn I'm good," he smiled, looking over the beautiful spread of food.

Hearing the opening and closing of the front door, Nico knew it was only moments before his wife and kids filled the room.

"Pull your homework out before you even think about turning on that ipad" Azure shouted as Cyan threw his jacket and backpack onto the floor.

"But Mom -"

"But nothing, listen to your Mom boy" Nico interjected, "How was your day baby?"

"Don't get me started" Azure shot him a look.

"Uh-oh. One of the kids need a whoopin, or how about you?" He muttered.

"I'll pass for now, we have...forty five minutes to get them all fed, washed, and put to bed before my Dad gets here. How did the food come out?" She asked, unbuckling the straps of Amai's car seat.

Nico stepped in, picking the three month old up and placing her on his chest.

"I got the first part handled, if you want to take a shower before everyone gets here"

"Mhhmh great. I'll be back down in a few" Azure said turning away, "Oh yeah, I ran into Eva today. Danielle's mother"

"Oh yeah? How was that?" Nico asked in between blowing raspberries on Amai's stomach.

"It was cool...she's nice. She actually asked to take one of my classes. And mentioned that you took the kids on a playdate, why didn't you tell me?"

"You was working late one day, I ain't think you would mind. As you can see, Cyan got his act together" Nico said with a snicker as he looked over at his son.

"That's true." Azure replied with the drop of her eyes.

Nico could tell there was something on her mind, but as always she danced around it. He didn't attempt to pull it out of her either. Instead he watched as she headed upstairs to take her shower while he attempted to finish dinner and watch the kids.