TWENTY FOUR - HOME SICK

Ron stirred in his sleep, his eyes heavy and his head pounding as he tossed and turned in the bed

Ron stirred in his sleep, his eyes heavy and his head pounding as he tossed and turned in the bed. To say he had a wild night would be an understatement, and just as he remembered the L.A party life wasn't for the weak. With his eyes barely open, he glanced at his phone - the light blinding him as he witnessed the multiple missed calls and unread texts from his siblings and wife.

"Hello?" He said in a horse voice once Marley answered the phone.

"Where were you last night, everyone was trying to get in touch with you."

Ron threw his legs over the bed of the air bnb in an attempt to stand to his feet, "I see that, what's wrong. Is everything good?"

"No" Marley answered, immediately causing him to stop in his tracks, "It's your Dad...he had a heart attack last night."

Ron was speechless. His head was already spinning from the massive hangover, but the news of his father damn near knocked him off of his feet.

Marley cleared her throat, "Are you there?"

"Yeah..yeah" Ron hopped out of his daze, "I'm here. Umm..is he okay?" He was so shocked it was hard for him to even find the words.

"Yes, from what I hear he is okay. I couldn't go to the hospital last night because I had the kids, but I plan to go today. Your brother and sister will be able to tell you more than I can."

"Okay, thank you bae. Do you mind if I call you back?"
He asked, running his hand over his face stressfully.

"No that's fine, I love you."

"Love you too."

While Ron's next step was to call his brother, he decided to take a quick shower first so he could be in the right headspace to hear the details of what was going on. He was relieved that his father was stable, however the news that he suffered a heart attack when he was the healthiest person he knew scared the shit out of him. Life was truly short, a lesson he learned the day his mother died.

He slowly turned the knobs of the stand up shower, the steam from the hot water dancing in the spacious bathroom as he stepped out of his clothes. He grimaced at his reflection.

 He grimaced at his reflection