THIRTY ONE - A GOOD FRIEND

The sound of Kiana Ledé's album exuded through Justin's apartment

      The sound of Kiana Ledé's album exuded through Justin's apartment. He hummed along to the lyrics, chopping the red and green peppers on his cutting board as he prepared the dinner for both his boyfriend and best friends who would be showing up at any minute. He tasted his homemade tomato sauce, bringing the spoon to his lips and nodding satisfyingly.

For the past month he had been on cloud nine within his new relationship. Rome was everything that he had ever wanted in a man - responsible, caring, romantic, he could go on. He wasn't on the down low, instead he loved Justin for everyone to see and never made him hide from the world. Naturally, Justin believed he actually might be too good to be true.

Dion hurt him immensely, leaving Rome to patch up Justin's heart. That was a heavy burden to bear, and Rome didn't hesitate to let him know that the two of them were not the same. Dion was an insecure man who wasn't comfortable with his sexuality; That had never been him. Rome knew that love was a divine emotion that everyone had the right to enjoy with who they wanted to, why would he be afraid to show that?

That alone made Justin fall head over heels in the short amount of time. No matter his fears, he knew he deserved to find love just as all of his best friends had done.

A knock at his door came moments later, and he checked himself in the mirror just in case it was Rome on the other side. Since his work schedule extended into the evening, Ron would be running a little behind but promised his boyfriend that he would be there as soon as he could. Things were quickly becoming serious between the couple; With that meant meeting each other's closest family and friends - and for Justin, Azure, Armani and Marley were just that.

"Hiiii bestie!" Azure exclaimed as Justin revealed her behind the door, "These are for you." She passed him a bouquet of sunflowers which were his favorite.

"Ouuu, thank you." Justin smiled, taking them in, "What did I do to deserve these?"

"I just thought they would be nice for the occasion. I know how rough it can be introducing the person you're dating...so where is Mr. Rome?"

Azure glanced around the nicely decorated apartment in search of the mystery man as she followed behind Justin to the kitchen.

Justin began to stick his flowers into a vase, "He should be on his way soon, he had to leave work and go home to change."

"Okay well do you need any help? It smells amazing in here." She asked, lifting up the lid of a random pot and smelling the aroma.

"Mhhh, I'on know about that since Nico is the cook in your household. Maybe you can finish cutting up these peppers."

Azure gave him an offended gasp, "Just for that, I shouldn't help. I'm a guest anyway."

"Then be my guest, and chop these peppers. I want to get started on the chicken anyway." Justin said passing over his chopping board as Azure jokingly rolled her eyes. "Now, did you and Mani talk yet because I don't need y'all to be weird and quiet at my dinner."