The letter

December 27.

Something was wrong, Katherine could feel it. She sat on a bench outside staring at the lake.

"Miss Sloan?" Dumbledore asked from behind her.

Katherine turned around "yes professor?"

Dumbledore held a letter out to her "this arrived for you from your time."

Katherine took the letter, eager to find out what was inside of it.

"I suggest that you go inside, it is quite chilly out here." He said.

Katherine nodded "thank you sir." She stood up and walked back to the castle.

Once she was inside, Katherine walked into the slytherin common room. She ripped open the letter and read it.

To.
Katherine Rose Sloan

Dear miss Sloan, all of us here at Hogwarts are very sorry to inform you that your parents have perished.
They were homicide victims, victims of Voldemort himself. I am very sorry for your loss but I do hope that this does not effect the mission.

From.
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Katherine burnt the letter, never wanting to read it again. She fell to her knees the pain and sadness was unbearable. She couldn't breath. Why couldn't she breath? Why should she breath? She didn't know what to do so she cried, she cried like she had never cried before. The tears wouldn't stop they just kept coming.

"Katherine?" Tom asked surprised as he walked through the door.

Not him, not now.

Katherine couldn't bear to look at him. Anger flushed through her, he had killed her parents, it was his fault.

Tom knelt down and wrapped his arms around her. "Katherine, what's wrong?" He asked worried.

Katherine pushed him off of her. He went stumbling back, he looked up at her with a confused expression.

Katherine stood up "stay away from me!" She yelled.

Tom stood up as well "what?"

"Stay away from me"she repeated, her voice cracking and more tears making their way down her face.

Tom took a step towards her, Katherine ran up the stairs to the girls dormitories and locked the door and used a spell to make sure it stayed locked.

Tom ran up after her. "Katherine tell me what's wrong." He demanded, turning the locked doorknob.

Her parents were gone because of him. They were never coming back.

He banged on the door, his hand starting to bruise. Tom tried to unlock the door using magic but it didn't work. " open this door!" Tom yelled. The thought of burning or kicking the door down ran through his head.

The anger helped subside the sadness. She let it take over and fill her.

"I hate you" Katherine said.

Tom stopped pounding the door "what?" He asked, not believing what she had just said.

"I never want to see you again." Katherine yelled. "I hate you!"

Tom took a step back from the door and stumbled a bit, he held onto the wall for balance. Tom couldn't say anything, he didn't know what to say. She had told him that she loved him and that she could never hate him. Did she ever love him? He began to walk down the stairs. How could words hurt so much? Did she really hate him?

Katherine listened to Tom's retreating footsteps. She slumped against the door, how could she have said that to him? Even after she told him that she could never hate him. She brought her knees to her head and began to sob. The thought of her parents being gone broke her again.

It's not his fault, it's mine. It's my job to change him. I can't face him, will her ever be able to forgive me.

She felt empty inside, she had just lost the three most important people in her life today.

***

It was late at night. Tom lay in his bed, dying on the inside. He could hear Katherine's sobs from the boys dormitories. She hadn't eaten for hours or came out of the dorm.

It hurt him to hear her cry. He got out of bed and stormed out of the room. He still loved her, it didn't matter if she hated him.

He opened the now unlocked door to her room. She was curled up in bed, sobbing and shaking out of her mind. Tom felt pain flood him and he looked at the floor, unable to see her like this. He walked over, lying down next to her. He wrapped his arms her around her and pulled her close.

Katherine cried into his chest, soaking his shirt.

"Please stop crying"his voice cracking, barely holding himself together.

"I'm sorry"she sobbed . "I'm... I'm so sorry." She paused, trying to control her sobbing. "I could never hate you. I need you to know that. I was just angry, I was j-just..." Her voice broke.

Tom stroked her hair, trying to calm her down. "it's okay, go to sleep." He whispered.

Katherine was still shaking, unable to control it. Tom pulled her closer.

"I love you." She whispered.

Tom weakly smiled a bit " I love you too."