Meeting the Task Force

" L. "

Ryuzaki and I looked towards his computer. I walked closer and sat near it to hear Watari's message clearly.

   " Another victim. This one left what appears to be a suicide note. "

   " Please send it to me. " He said walking to his monitor.

L leaned close to the monitor and hovered over it. I couldn't see the image clearly and Ryuzaki wasn't going to move. He was in his thoughts and once he was there you couldn't pull him out.

   " Listen Watari. Tell the police to monitor prison populations closely for the next few days. Kira may use other suicide notes to communicate with us. " 

   " Understood. "

Then the image left the screen and I couldn't see it. 

   " Hey, I didn't get to have a good look at it. "

   " Good. You'll see them soon enough, but not now I'm afraid. "

   " Alright. You are the great detective here. "

   " Yes, I am so you should listen to me. "

I rolled my eyes and walked to the couch. I pulled out my textbook and started doing my homework for the day. It wasn't much. I just had to finish an essay for English and then math homework. I needed to study for my exams as well. Like Light, I was the salutatorian for our class.

   " L...you have a call from the director of the FBI. "

I stopped doing my homework and listened to the call.

   " It's me. I've got a report right in front of me right now stating that all of our agents in Japan are dead. All twelve died of heart attacks. I can only assume Kira is behind this. Look I'm sorry but it's already decided that we are calling off our investigation. "

I was shocked. The FBI was going to call off an investigation of a psychotic killer. The call ended and another call started.

   " I have chief Yagami on the line. "

Then he started talking with a rough voice.

   " L, I just got off the phone with the director of the FBI. According to him, it seems that you arranged for the FBI to come to Japan and investigate everyone here and associated with the task force. "

   " Yes, I did. "

   " So, how do you explain this? Are we now suspects in our own investigation? "

   " I felt that it was necessary to uncover Kira's identity. "

   " I cannot accept that! I find it unbelievable that you would spy on us. The very people working with you in this case. "

I could hear that when he paused people at the task force were talking about the distrust they had in Ryuzaki. It made my blood boil, but I couldn't talk. If I could hear them in the background they would surely hear me. 

   " We have another victim. A note was left at the scene. " Watari said interrupting Chief Yagam's call.

Ryuzaki blocked the screen again and I couldn't read the message.

   " Damn you, Kira. " I heard him whisper.

The next day was even harder on Ryuzaki. Today Chief Yagami told the entire task force about their possible death if they continued. We were only left with five men. 

   " The fact that you chose to stay means you have a strong sense of justice. I trust all of you. "

   ' Wow, that was straight forward. ' 

   " Hold on a second. L's just said he's decided to trust us now, but honestly, what reason do we have to trust him?  "

   " Look L all of us have agreed to put our lives at risk to bring Kira to justice. So, I hope you understand what this means. We're really sticking our necks out here. " Another voice spoke up.

   " But you never have to show your face, do you? You just give the orders. I don't see how you expect us to work alongside you in those conditions. " The final voice said speaking up.

I looked at Ryuzaki and saw his calm demeanor. He was biting his thumb, but otherwise, he looked calm, like he predicted this would happen.

   " L. If all of us are going to work together on this investigation and if you truly meant what you said about trusting the six of us could you come here so we could all meet in person? " Chief said speaking up.

   " The thought had already crossed my mind. After all...I did say that I trusted all of you. "

He started typing on the screen and I could read what he was typing. When he stopped he stood up and looked at me. 

   " Ryuzaki, I don't know if I should be here to meet them. "

   " Why? "

   " Because I just don't think I should. It doesn't feel right. "

He placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a soft look.

   " You are part of this investigation Y/n. You have been with me since the start and I want to end this off together. So, every step of the way I want you beside me. "

I felt my face heat up quickly, but I dismissed it as quickly. I nodded and he handed me a list. 

   " From now on I will be changing hotels because of this meetup. On these days meet me at this certain hotel. "

   " Got it. "

We waited for the task force to show up. Ryuzaki went to stand at the window and I sat on the couch. I could hear their footsteps in the hall. I heard the first knock on the door and I stood up. 

   " It's unlocked, please let yourselves in. " Ryuzaki yelled.

The door handle twisted and I felt my heartbeat pick up.