The New ' L '

I entered Ryuzaki's hotel room and saw the task force sitting around the coffee table while Ryuzaki sat in a chair analyzing samples found on the tapes and letters. His back was facing the rest of the task force and he picked up all of the evidence to make sure the labels were right. I set my bag down beside Matsuda and went to stand in front of the table he was sat at. I watched as he held the bags up one by one and said out loud what they were. It wasn't until a few moments later that I felt a chill.

   " Hair. "

   " Snack crumbs. "

   " Hair. "

   " Mr. Yagami? "

   " Yes, Ryuzaki? "

   " If I die within the next few days your son is Kira. Hm? Another hair."

   " What did you just say Ryuzaki? "

   " Exactly what are you talking about? " Matsuda asked pulling himself into the conversation.

   " If anything happens to me I've asked Watari to make himself available to you. So I'm counting on you. "

   " Ryuzaki! You've said he was almost cleared and now this? Honestly how much do you suspect my son? "

   " The truth is I don't even know what to think anymore. I've never been in a situation like this. If Kira and the second Kira are working together right now things are not looking good for me. Given that I may not be thinking as clearly as I normally do so I could be wrong. "

   ' L could be wrong? That's not something you ever hear. '

   " Maybe you still consider him a suspect because we don't have anyone else? " I suggested.

   " But still if I do happen to be killed soon please assume your son is Kira and Y/n I want you to take the role of ' L ' for me when I'm killed. "

   ' What? '

I stood there shocked with the rest of the task force. Ryuzaki just kept looking at the evidence and stating what they were. Mr. Yagami looked furious. He walked to the kitchen to calm down and the other members of the task force followed him to help. While they left I stood there while Ryuzaki kept analyzing the evidence. I walked closer to the table and crouched beside it. Ryuzaki didn't look at me. He just stayed in his thoughts and looked at the evidence. 

   " Ryuzaki where did this sudden;y come from? "

   " I believe I will die soon and I believe that my estimated time of death will be tomorrow that is unless I can take a risk. "

   " Ryuzaki you will live. You will be fine. "

He turned towards me and grabbed my hands. He looked in my eyes and I could tell the next thing he was going to say would be very serious. 

   " Y/n Watari has a letter for you. If I am killed tomorrow ask Watari for the letter and he shall give it to you. "

   " What's in the letter? "

   " Information only you should know. You may not have it until I am killed or if I survive until I say so. "

   " Ryuzaki what in the world has gotten into you? You will be fine. "

   " Promise me you will get the letter from Watari. "

   " But-"

   " Promise. "

   " Ryuzaki-"

   " Promise me. "

   " I...I promise. "

   " Good. "

He turned back in his chair towards the evidence and started going through its contents again. I stayed in my crouched position beside the table. 

   " Why do you want me to take on your place as ' L ' when you die? "

   " That should be easy for you, yourself to answer. I want you to take on my position as ' L ' because after all this time you have been able to match my intellect and deductive skills. A few times you've even surpassed me. That's not something everyone can say. So far you have been able to match and surpass my skills. The only other person that has been able to get close to my skills is Light Yagami. He's smarter than what he's showing us. You know this, but he hasn't been able to match my skills correctly or even come close to surpass them. That is why I want you to take my place once I am killed. "

   " But Ryuzaki you won't die. "

   " That will depend on how everything goes tomorrow. Speaking of which I will need you to be with me tomorrow. "

   " But tomorrow I have a lecture I need to go to. "

   " I know. I will be going tomorrow. "

   " But I usually walk with Light in the mornings. I don't want to just abandon him. Plus we have the same lecture. "

   " That would be even better. Never mind what I said go with Light tomorrow. Is he still with that model? "

   " Yes. "

   " Good. You've promised me Y/n that you will take the letter and I hope you would accept my position once I am killed. Tomorrow I will do what I can to keep you out of danger. You should be fine. "

   " A-Alright. "

I felt something warm and soft on my head. It lasted for only a second but I could feel what he did. He had turned in his chair and kissed my head. He now faced me and looked at me with a sincere look.

   " I will do what I can to survive tomorrow. I do wish to live. I can't guarantee that I will live. "

I nodded my head and he let me go. I stood up and stretched my legs. I went to sit on the couch and waited for time to pass quickly as it usually did. 

   ' I don't know what's going on tomorrow but please don't die on me Ryuzaki. We have been together in this from the start and you better not let yourself be killed. I couldn't handle you leaving. We have helped each other too much, we have become to close. '

I leaned my head on my hand as I laid on the couch and I looked at Ryuzaki. He was now writing something and as I looked at him my memories of him rushed to me. The first time we talked, when we worked on the case, every time he was there to comfort me, all the happy time, everything. I felt my cheeks get hot quickly and my heartbeat pick up. Then the thought came to my head.

   ' Do I like Ryuzaki? '