Chapter 35

BPOV

Three and a half months had ticked by since Edward and I had gotten back together. Things had been different between us, lighter, but weird. We were communicating more and there hadn't been as much fighting. Mostly our arguments now was what movie we were going to see on the weekend, and pizza or Chinese for dinner? Nothing serious.

But I had a bad feeling something was brewing. I had never been so happy before, and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Not to mention, I was a little on edge, because we hadn't made love since the night we got back together. Edward never made a move to redeem that. I missed our physical connection, but I knew it was doing us some good. We jumped head first into our relationship, and we didn't really wait like we should have, and I felt like we were healing and connecting as a real couple. Pushing all of the toxicity and negativity out of our lives.

I wanted this to work. I couldn't see myself with anyone but him, so I would do what I had to do. I just hoped the physical part of our relationship, or lack there of, wasn't diminished by the fact that Edward just didn't want me anymore.

I doubted it, though. Edward was so loving and affectionate. He was just trying to be a good, normal high school boyfriend. That apparently meant no sex, and no sleep overs. I seriously missed it.

"What can I get you, Charlotte?" I asked politely, holding my notepad and pen as one of our regulars scanned the menu. She always ordered the same thing, at this point the menu was merely a formality, she had been coming here since before I was born. She used to come with her husband, but a few weeks after I began working here, he passed away. I think she continued to come here to feel closer to him. I felt for her, and I definitely had a soft spot for her.

"Yes, dear, can I get the spinach and cheese omelette, a side of hashbrowns and a weak tea?" The elderly woman asked.

"Anything for you." I said as I scribbled the order down. "Would you like your tea now or with your breakfast?"

Breakfast. "Breakfast." She echoed my thoughts, "but would you mind getting me a nice cold glass of water while I wait, dear?"

"Sure thing! I'll give your order to the cook right away." I told her.

I turned and began walking toward the counter, giving her order to the new cook, Embry. Garrett had quit since his and Kyras fight before my fateful camping trip with Edward and our friends. He put his two weeks notice in the next day while I was away, and left early after another fight with Kyra.

His girlfriend had accepted his proposal, but Kyra couldn't. It was ugly. However, he kept coming in every week. He claimed to miss the food, but honestly I hadn't seen him even sample our food the entire time we were working together, and I believed he was regretting his decisions. About not being with Kyra, and about quitting the diner. I think he was just too proud to admit it.

I brought Charlotte her water and scurried back to perform some cleaning duties behind the counter and then out to the dining area. I served a few more customers, taking their orders and bringing them to their tables before Kyra showed up. I found myself tensing. As of late, working with her has been a hit or miss. She could show up happy as could be or be a total grump for my entire shift, but once I seen her smile brightly at me, I knew it was going to be okay.. for today anyway.

"Hey, Bella." She greeted me.

"Hey," I replied meekly, nervously shuffling around things on the counter trying to make myself appear busy.

"Its almost time for your lunch break, is your man coming?" She questioned, making me bite my lip.

"Uhm, no." I sighed, looking directly at her. "He went to Port Angeles today with some friends of ours."