Chapter 41

Bella's POV ;

My heart was pounding in my chest, as I stared off with this bronze haired boy.. Edward. I wasn't being irrational in freaking out like I did. I know I'm in the hospital, I spent enough time in one growing up from being a complete clutz, I don't understand  how or why I'm here.

Why is there a searing, pounding pain irradiating from the back of my head? The nurse told Edward he had to go, and he looked at me like I had just killed his puppy. I could see how heartbroken he was, but I couldn't be concerned with that.

I had no idea where I was. Once he was gone, I started wracking my brain, to see what the last thing I could remember was. I drew a blank.

"Are you okay sweetie?" The nurse asked me, "do you need anything?"

I nodded, my hand flying to my throat as I acknowledged the searing thirst I felt. "Can I have some water?" I gasped out, and then began wiggling my tongue around as if willing it not to be dry. My throat hurt to, which was to be expected seeing as how I just had a tube in it.

"Of course, dear." She said, making herself scarce. It wasn't long after she came back with a tiny paper cup. I thanked her and drank the contents of the cup. It hurt to swallow, but it felt good to take away the thirst.

She left the room shortly after and my dad came in just moments later. I sighed in relief.

"Dad!" I said, "what's going on?" I knew some of my fear was seeping into my voice, but I was really trying to remain calm.

"You were attacked at prom." He said, after sitting next to me and taking my hand.

"Prom?" I asked, confused.

"Your senior prom." He confirmed.

"Senior prom." I whispered to myself. "Who was that boy that was just here?"

"That was Edward." he said simply.

"I know his name," I sighed, thinking over my words carefully.. "who is he though?"

A look of understanding crossed his face, and he turned his body toward me more, as if trying to become more serious. "He's your boyfriend," he told me, "you've been dating for a while now, since he moved to Forks from Arizona."

"Why can't I remember him?" I breathed.

"I might be able to answer that." We heard a voice from the door. We both looked over to see a blonde doctor. He was younger looking, and very easy on the eyes.

"Doctor Cullen." My dad said, standing up off the bed, "It's good to see you."

"You as well, Charlie." He nodded, "though not the best circumstances, unfortunately." He turned his attention back to me and sighed. "How do you feel?"

"Confused." I answered cautiously. "My brain isn't working."

"What do you mean it's not working?" Dr. Cullen asked.

"I can't remember anything. Even before whatever happened that landed me here, I try and think about my last memory and there's nothing." I explained.

"Well, you have Retrograde amnesia.." he said, looking over my chart as he spoke, "from the smack your head took against the concrete and the time that your brain was without oxygen before you were resuscitated. The only trouble is we can't tell you if it's going to be permanent or if your memories will eventually resurface."

"Resuscitated?!" I exclaimed, confused. I turned to my dad. "I was dead?"

"You were." The doctor answered for him. "I have some other patients to check up on, I'll leave you two to it."