Chapter 36

Edwards POV

The school year was winding down, and I was stressed. We all were. Prom was around the corner, though I had not yet asked Bella if she would go with me, I did intend to.

Whoever vandalized Bella's truck was still in the wind, and the more I thought about it, and heard about the rivalry between Bella and James before I came to town, the more I believed it was him. Charlie went to the Trakkers home, to ask James some questions, but according to his father he was out of town. No one was buying it, especially considering when Charlie asked where James was and how long he was gone, his father wouldn't answer. Charlie warned him that he was messing with a police investigation, but he didn't care. He got charged with it, and even spent a night in a jail cell before he made bail.

Bella and I were spending much more time together. I drove her everywhere she had to go, as she didn't own a vehicle anymore. When we had free time we were together, I was terrified of not being with her, afraid that someone was going to hurt her.

There was one other issue that was hanging above our heads, one that Bella didn't even know about yet. I knew she would have something to say about it, which is why I hadn't told her. I didn't want to stress her out. What am I talking about?

College. We were sending out applications left right and centre, with fingers crossed that we would be accepted into some and have some choices. My goal, was to be accepted into the school Bella wanted to go to. I wanted to remain with her, and be with her. If she agreed, we could move into a little apartment together.

Why was this a problem? Well, last time I mentioned following Bella anywhere she went, it wasn't received well. She got irritated with me and told me that she didn't want me to compromise anything about my future for her sake. My thing was, she was my future. I didn't want to walk away.

Bella was hoping to get accepted into Yale. It was her dream school. I had thought in the past about going there as well, so it wasn't an issue for me. I could get my education anywhere, I couldn't be with the woman I loved from across the country. I had no doubt we could make long distance work, but it just wouldn't be the same.

It was an unnaturally sunny Tuesday, and I made my way to our lunch table, tray in hand. Bella had texted me and told me she was going to be a few minutes late, so I grabbed her lunch as well so she could just eat once she gets here. Everyone else had already been seated once I got there, and all of their eyes immediately went to me.

"Edward," Rosalie said sweetly. My eyes automatically narrowed in suspicion.

"Rose?" I answered, frowning softly.

She took a deep breath before speaking, "you know how Alice and I are spearheading the prom planning committee?"

"Yes." I answered, unsure of where this was going.

"Well.." Alice spoke up, "we ran into a budgeting snag, and we're out of money. So we are going to have a fundraiser, last minute but we already have the go ahead from the principal. We were wondering if you could help out."

"What? With like, a donation?" I asked, shrugging, "I can do that."

"Not exactly what we were talking about, I mean every bit we get will help us, but that's not what we were going to ask." Rosalie said.

I turned my head to look at Emmett and Jasper, who looked at each other and then down at the table in front of them. They were avoiding eye contact. This wasn't good.

I hesitated, unsure if I wanted to know the truth before I asked, "well, what?"

"We're having a bunch of different things to make money, the last thing, is a people auction." Alice said.